Ultimate Album Side-Power Metal

VenomGA

At War With Stan
Jul 28, 2005
Basically, you pick your favorite 6 songs that you would love to hear on an album side (I Know this is the cd age, but play along). Today you can pick your 6 favorite songs from the genre of power metal. Continuing in the future, I will give you genres to choose your favorite 6 songs from. Also most likley I will further break down the power genre into different countries. Any suggestions, please PM me.

1. Helloween-Ride the Sky
2. Iced Earth-Stand Alone
3. Savatage-Hall of the Mountain King
4. Edguy-Lavatory love Machine
5. Circle II Circle-All That Remains
6. Tad Morose-No Mercy

Iced Earth - Phantom Of The Opera
Edguy - Mysteria
Helloween - King For A Thousand Years
Nocturnal Rites - Cuts Like A Knife
Gamma Ray - Money (or what the song is called for humor purposes)
Savatage - Taunting Cobras

Now THIS is a tough task! Probably my favorite genre but here goes...

Sonata Arctica - "White Pearl, Black Oceans"
Symphorce - "The Mirrored Room"
Mystic Prophecy - "Regressus - Lost In Time"
Iron Savior - "Wings Of Deliverance"
Lost Horizon - "Cry Of A Restless Soul"
Nevermore - "Inside Four Walls"

The above reflect my mood today. Tomorrow could be different.... :lol:

Some may argue that certain of the aforementioned bands are not power metal and that could very well be the case. All these sub-genres of metal are at times, at least for me, separated by blurry lines making it hard to categorize a specific band. Nevermore are a good example of this -- in my time spent reading about them I've seen them categorized in no less than three different sub-genres.

:headbang:

Iced Earth - Violate
Rage - Dont you fear the winter
Brainstorn - Under Lights
Tad Morose - Anubis
Helloween - Murderer
Sonata Arctica - False news travels faaaaaaaaaaaast (lol)

My picks are:

Centre of the Universe - Kamelot
Warriors - Freedom Call
Heart of Storm - Lost Horizon
Return To Heaven Denied - Labyrinth
Living Under Ice - Hibria
Heroes - Masterplan

*Please Note* I don't really consider Savatage "power metal" for those of you wondering why EOT hasn't included Sava in anything yet. ;)

~Brian~

This is tough, trying to pick my favorites when I could easily fill two discs worth, and trying to type this one up without looking at everyone else's posts:

Edguy - Babylon
Vision Divine - La Vitta Fugue
Dream Evil - The Book of Heavy Metal
Shaaman - Here I Am
Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy
Labyrinth - Save Me

My picks are:

I Want Out - Helloween
Warriors - Freedom Call
Heart of Storm - Lost Horizon
Return To Heaven Denied - Labyrinth
Living Under Ice - Hibria
Heroes - Masterplan

*Please Note* I don't really consider Savatage "power metal" for those of you wondering why EOT hasn't included Sava in anything yet. ;)

~Brian~
what do you consider the band then? they were the epitome of Power metal in the 80's and got more progressive with Streets and beyond.

I agree with SYIH - this is THE toughest choice, seeing as power metal is my favorite style of metal....in fact, music in general. Here goes nothing:

1. Future World - Pretty Maids (probably THE single most underrated band in the genre....IMO)
2. Halloween - Helloween (next to Maiden, the band who led the way early in the genre.....)
3. Karma - Kamelot (one of my favorite singers and bands....I could have just said "pick one of their songs"!!)
4. Somewhere Far Beyond - Blind Guardian (they have the goods to be the next band all standards are held up to)
5. Visions - Stratovarius (Jens made the keyboards interesting in power metal)
6. A Question of Heaven - Iced Earth (..maybe the strongest American power metal band)

what do you consider the band then? they were the epitamy of Power metal in the 80's and got more progressive with Streets and beyond.

Well, like I said, it's just my opinion about what I consider them. I put them more in traditional metal in the early 80s, then they progressed into symphonic metal from Gutter Ballet on up. Honestly, there's no other band that I can think of that sounds like them or is a carbon copy of them.

~Brian~

As with many others, this was an extremely tough one for me as I love me some power metal! :headbang:
1 - All We Are (or Metal Tango) - Warlock
2 - Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
3 - Running Free - Iron Maiden
4 - Navigator - Edguy
5 - Unleash the Beast - Saxon
6 - Wicca - Benedictum

Oh, and I'd like to make some suggestions for other "ultimate album side" forum fun:
  • Finnish Power Metal
  • UK Power Metal
  • American Power Metal
  • Metal Ballads
  • Female-Fronted Metal :D
  • Melodic Death Metal

OMG....didn't think anybody else here was old enough to know that one. My 80's band used to close our sets with this...:headbang:

However, probably IMO doesn't belong in this category....perhaps when he puts out the "album side - NWOBHM" or "album side - classic metal" threads. Good call anyways....

yeah, i debated over this entry because of the NWOBHM genre. BUT it surely does rip! so i just had to include it.
of course there are a bunch of Saxon songs i absolutely love...

Wohoo, finally a thread for me:

Angra - Carry On
Helloween - Victim of Fate
Blind Guardian - Valhalla
Iced Earth - Desert Rain
Stratovarius - Black Diamond
Edguy - Theater of Salvation

Oh, and I'd like to make some suggestions for other "ultimate album side" forum fun:
  • Finnish Power Metal
  • UK Power Metal
  • American Power Metal
  • Metal Ballads
  • Female-Fronted Metal :D
  • Melodic Death Metal

List added to my master list. I would do instead of or in addition to the UK Power Metal with German power metal. :headbang:

Easy!

Nightwish - The Riddler
Sonata Arctica - San Sebastian
Stratovarius - Playing with Fire
Rhapsody - Rage of the Winter
Falconer - Upon the Grave of Guilt
Blind Guardian - Run Fast to madness / banished from sanctuary / lost in the twilight hall