ultimate metal competition :)

The name isn't funny. The conversations are. Holy shit that thread was started only today?!?!?! :guh: . It's so populated......

Opeth needs your help in that thread, noble fans! Come on, ive been fighting the good fighting and pleading our case, but we need votes! Metallica is not the greatest band of all time; they released a few damn good cds, but burnt out quickly. Not Opeth. Opeth is worthy. VOTE! VOTE NOW! VOTE PLENTIFULLY! GOOOOOOooooooooooo.........

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Opeth needs your help in that thread, noble fans! Come on, ive been fighting the good fighting and pleading our case, but we need votes! Metallica is not the greatest band of all time; they released a few damn good cds, but burnt out quickly. Not Opeth. Opeth is worthy. VOTE! VOTE NOW! VOTE PLENTIFULLY! GOOOOOOooooooooooo.........

Well.....

If you look at the bands that Metallica has influenced.....

Opeth is a better band, but you can't deny the fact that Metallica is probably one of the most influential bands in the history of music, right up there with Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest.

But currently...

Yeah, Opeth.

I know I may get flamed, but I voted Metallica. It was not an easy choice, my friends. Metallica and Opeth are the only two bands on my favorites list that are pretty much locked. It's close between the two, but Metallica got me into Metal in the first place, and they will get my highest respect indefinitely for that. I even play a Kirk Hammett signature ESP now. Plus, their live show is still pretty cool.

Why must they cause me to fight myself like this. It's so hard to choose :(

I also play a Kirk Hammet Signature ESP :headbang: . Voted for Opeth, but Metallica is awesome also. People who dislike Metallica, and who say they are guitarists/artists, well they must like some shitty music then. Granted, their albums past AJFA weren't good (and yes, Black Album is decent IMO. Listen to the music, don't listen to others who say it's bad), and St. Anger just over all sucks long donkey schlong. Their older stuff was great, and any metalhead who denies that... well your just not a metalhead then.

People who dislike Metallica, and who say they are guitarists/artists, well they must like some shitty music then. >> ???

Their older stuff was great, and any metalhead who denies that... well your just not a metalhead then. >> get a life, stop learning metallica-solos all day

@ Joemc17

Well, when I was somewhat younger, Metallica was for me the greatest band alive. Right now? Well, they bore me to death, even the old stuff. I rarely listen to them, although I won't deny that they have some great songs.

And I play guitar (and bass abit), so I like shitty music? Well yeah, Opeth sure is shitty. After the Metallica period of mine, I discovered music that was much more complex, much more interesting in every aspect, and had a lot more emotion going on. I mean, what's your definition of a 'metalhead', a stupid moron who never progresses in his musical taste? Also, my 'newly discovered' bands had musicians who are also great people! I mean Metallica's attitude in general annoys me, shamelessly saying that St. Anger is their best album yet... Urgh.

Why did Cliff had to die? :(

Moonstruck Why did Cliff had to die? :([/QUOTE said:
Fucking A man, what would Metallica be like if he was still around. The man was a musical fucking genius.

Plus he had ass length red hair and played bass solos that made people shit their pants and cry.

even if cliff was still in metallica, they wouldn't be putting out RtL II, RtL III, MoP II, etc..so don't think that. though i'm sure they wouldn't have stooped as low as st.anger. they probably would have eventually made an album similar to the self titled, but cliff would probably have left before a load/reload type album birthed. just my thoughts.

deliverance said:
even if cliff was still in metallica, they wouldn't be putting out RtL II, RtL III, MoP II, etc..so don't think that. though i'm sure they wouldn't have stooped as low as st.anger. they probably would have eventually made an album similar to the self titled, but cliff would probably have left before a load/reload type album birthed. just my thoughts.

Yeah, but if you look at the progression between Kill em' All (largely Dave Mustaine influenced in my opinion, with his spider chords and speed shred) to Ride the Lightening (the classical intro to Fight Fire With Fire, a *gasp ballad, Creeping Death, and Call of Ktulu- heavuly influenced by Cliff, the only person who read Lovecraft's literature and was a classically trained pianist and bassist), you have to question what the next logical progressions would have been for the band. Im not saying they wuold have put out Master of Puppets 5 times, but im really more interested to see exactly what would have happened. Although Im sure we wouldnt be dealing with "frantic tic tic tic toc" and that kind of ridiculous bullshit.

Although an Opeth forum probably isnt the best place to talk about alternate realities in which Metallica didnt become a lauging stock, I'll probably be flamed. Fuck it.

R.I.P. Cliff