UltimateMetal.com Acquired By MetalAges.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
UltimateMetal.com Acquired By MetalAges.com

On May 22, 2004, myself and Deron Blevins of MetalAges.com finalized details of the acquisition of UltimateMetal.com in its entirety by MetalAges.com.

I started UltimateMetal.com in June 2000 as a webzine focused on the underground metal scene. Since then, and particularly with its refocusing in May 2001 as a forum-based community, UltimateMetal.com has grown to be (in my eyes) the best Metal discussion community online. With over 30,000 users, it has succeeded beyond my wildest imaginings.

However, the time has now come for me to pass it on - I plan to spend time on other projects (music related and otherwise) and with my family.

Deron is a dedicated fan of Metal in its various guises, as well as an excellent webmaster/designer. He is the owner of MetalAges.com, and also MetalAges Records, so has a keen understanding of the genre's fans, and its artists. He was the first person I approached when I decided to sell UltimateMetal.com because I know he is the perfect fit for the site and its cause.

Sez Deron:

"I've known Mark for a long time now, and when he asked me if I was interested in taking over the site I couldn't pass it up! I love UltimateMetal.com and what it brings to the Metal community and I don't plan on letting the site die out in the hands of someone else who has no interest in what UltimateMetal.com is all about."​

I will be working alongside Deron over the coming month or so as we make the final changeover. Nothing on UM will change, except for a server switch (which I'm sure many of you will be happy about!), and possible minor background goings-on. Most of it will be a seamless and transparent switchover. I'm sure Deron will fill you all in as he progresses.

I will still be a presence on the site, and hope that you will all continue enjoying and supporting UltimateMetal.com as much as I will!

For the final word: thank you to all the UM members, bands, and labels who have supported the site over the last four years. Special thanks to the UM team (Russell, Rodrigo, Nathan, Jax, Phillip, and Katalin in particular), to Chris Barnes (now of HellrideMusic.com, but the original UM scribe!), our moderating team, and my family and friends.

All the best, and I shall see you on the forums!

Mark Bridgeman

And thank YOU, Mark, for your time and energy creating and maintaining what is, without a doubt, the ultimate metal community on the 'net. I mean... damn man... I have had discussions with the artists themselves about their music! That just friggin rules! I had no idea there was a place on the internet like this, but sure am glad I found it.

I'm very new here, so I hate to see change happen so quickly :) ...but I'm sure Devon will do a great job, and I look forward to seeing this place just get better and better in his hands.

~Robert

Thanks Robert, glad that UM has been a cool experience for you :) Deron comes with the same way of thinking as myself, so don't expect too much change at all ;) Just the name on the door ;)

Thanks, my friend, for the countless hours of work you have put into UM both before I was around and since. I think you have a great deal to be proud of, and it's been great helping you with UM :) Group hug people:

hug.jpg

:p \M/ :p

And welcome to the position Deron :wave:

I'm kind of sad to see UM go from Mark's hands even though I'm sure it'll be fine...
I've been here a lot since this account started, and before (lurking, but I still have the emails and user number from my old account). I haven't been around much altely and the site has changed.... Maybe it'll be a change for the better, maybe not.

One question, is Russell still editing the 'zine?

I'm innocent! I haven't changed a thing :) I've been around forever as well and don't plan on fixing something that isn't broke :) I may add little enhancements here and there but nothing major or destructive :)

Wow! Thank you Mark for all that you have done for UM these past years and for getting me involved with the site back when you were getting started with it. It's been a lot of fun and I am sure it will continue to be a great site with Deron at the helm.

MetalAges said:
I'm innocent! I haven't changed a thing :) I've been around forever as well and don't plan on fixing something that isn't broke :) I may add little enhancements here and there but nothing major or destructive :)
That's good to hear, but is this broken? :tickled:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :(

Status
Not open for further replies.