Ulvsblakk translation?

The norwegian writers wrote in danish because norwegian was seen as uncivilized, fitting only for poor peasant. This because of the black death (from 1349 in Norway): At this time all norwegian educated and the last of the "nobles" died. (what had made them nobles was mostly King Sverres proclamation about killing a noble would make the killer a noble - to get his own men in leading positions) Most educated ppl in Norway after this for several hundered years was danish nobles coming to Norway for estates and in service for the king. The rest was rich norwegians with danish relatives. And with no king, no state and no universities in Norway it was natural to get ones education in Denmark - which led to this language was seen as the only fit written language. First around 1800 - with nationalism and romatisicm coming up, Norway splitting with Denmark in 1814, and getting her own consitution - some norwegians wanted to start to use their own language - cause, as it was said, a country isn't a fully worthy country without it's own language! -And they wanted Norways freedom with everything that belonged to it.

As for the lyrics.. I'm sorry Fleischwolf, you asked me to do this ages ago, and I had totally forgotten about it. But I must also admit I had more or less given up translating, cause it was so difficult to get down all of it. Thank you for giving me a little note on it again though - that was how I learned there had come up a Ulver form here to!! (eeeeeeekkkhh) :-/// Haven't been much here last months.... But.....

I think I can put in a little more (a little tiny bit...):

*Fader Vår is Pater Noster - THE christian prayer (Pater Noser, Thee who are in Heaven, Hollow be Thy name, let Thy kingdom come, let Thy will........)(I don't think you use an english name for it....???)

*From Kledt i nattens farger:

I can't make out exactly what he says after "Ja, da har du lovet bort din sjel, og vil tilbe..." but at least it starts with S... smth, anyway I would think it has to do with the devil... At least, after "Som ser på deg" he says "Som ser på deg fra skyggen" (=Who looks at you from the shadow)

*In the next song I think he says....: "I blinde går jeg, redd meg ikke hjem, Natten fører meg bestandig frem" (=I blindness I walk, don't save me home, The night leads me ever forward)

*From Ulvsblakk:

I think it sounds like they sing this:

------- Kan du se at sola som svir ------på ein ---- Der bak der er det klare ------[low voice]------------ Har du synen... Kan du se at vi????-----Der bak der er det det kaller ---[low voice]--------Tida har----------Stemmene har vært med djevelen [this makes no sense.....??????????]ahahahaha ---------For ulvsblakk harmer

Anyone care to listen again and check up if any of this can make sense?? Well, anyway, just my little input.

Reactions: °scarlet°
Fleischwolf said:
1. Ulv oc Fryckt
2. Ulv oc Diefvelen
3. Ulv oc Had
4. Ulv oc Mand
5. Ulv oc Maanen
6. Ulv oc Lidenskab
7. Ulv oc Skaebne
8. Ulv oc Natten

Well, there aren't a language called Scandinavian. All three scandinavian countries have different languages. Seeing as Ulver is a Norwegian band, I'll translate the titles into Norwegian:

1. Ulv og Frykt
2. Ulv og Djevelen
3. Ulv og Hat
4. Ulv og Mann/Menneske*
5. Ulv og Månen
7. Ulv og Lidenskap
8. Ulv og Skjebne
9. Ulv og Natten

* = depends on whether they mean Man (the male gender), or Man (the human race).

Could anybody post here a translation - or a link to the translation - of the text from 'Kveldssanger' booklet?

Procella said:
Could anybody post here a translation - or a link to the translation - of the text from 'Kveldssanger' booklet?

It's translated on the Trilogie-boxsets booklet, but I have no camera right now and no way I'm re-typing that. Maybe later...

Can anybody post a translation of Ulver - Kveldssanger album? The right translation? Or a link where can i find other albums of Ulver?
I have:

Ulver - Blood Inside

Ulver - Kveldssanger

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

Ulver - Shadows Of The Sun

Ulver - Perdition City

THNX

are you sure about the "Ulvsblakk" word translation? "blakk" means broken or something like that in Norwegian, also.

Østenfor Sol og vestenfor Måne - to the east of the Sun and to the west of the Moon
Østenfor Sol og vestenfor Måne - to the east of the Sun and to the west of the Moon
Dit kommer du sent eller aldri - you'll come there too late, or never will come
Til Verdens Ende bærer det - to the end of the world

Ord - word
Ikke må den love å vandre i mørket - don't promise to wander in the darkness ("må" means something like "must")
Som ikke har sett natten - one who's never seen the night

there is some mistake in this translation, most probably:
Kledt i Nattens Farger = clad in the colours of Night
Kan du mer enn ditt Fader Vår - know you more than your God (Vår - our, ours. Fader Vår - our Father God)
Kaster du ingen skygge - you don't cast any shadow
Ja, da har du lovet bort din sjel - yes, then you've promised your soul away
Og vil til bestandighet - and will forever
Ha en med prillahorn - bring the prillahorn (a musical instrument, horn of some kind, most probably)
Som ser på deg fra skyggen - that watches you from the shadows
Som ser (whispered) - that watches
Som ser på deg = that watches you

Utreise - departure ("utreise day" is the day of someone's death, too, as in english)
I blinde går jeg - in blindness i walk
Led meg ikke hjem - guide me not home
La natten føre meg - let the Night lead me
Bestandig frem - forth (or forward), forever

Ulvsblakk - ?
Har du synen - do you have the seeing (vision) (no, it's not when you're psychic, quite contrary, in fact. people who claim they don't have hallucinations are very sick, or so i believe)
Kan du se at sola - can you see that the Sun

Ulvsblakk - ?

Har du synen - do you have a vision (seeing)
Kan du se at - can you see that

Ulvsblakk - ?
Ulvsblakk - ?

Tida - Time

Stemmen har Djevelen - there is Devil in the voice
Hahahhaha - hahahhaha

Ulvsblakk er med - ? is with

Does anyone have the actual lyrics to the ulvsblakk song? All I can find on lyrics websites are parts of the song. Does anyone have the actual CD with the cover and booklets and all of that? Are the lyrics inside? Could you post them? If so I can try to translate them.

As for the other songs:

Østenfor Sol og vestenfor Måne
Dit kommer du sent eller aldri
Til Verdens Ende bærer det

East of the sun and west of the mooon
there you will go late or never
to the end of the world we go

Kledt I Nattens Farger - Dressed in the colors of the night

Kan du mer enn ditt Fader Vår
Kaster du ingen skygge
Ja, da har du lovet bort din sjel
og vil til bestandighet
Ha en med prillahorn
Som ser på deg fra skyggen

Are you familiar with more than your "Lord's Prayer"
then you cast no shadow
yes you have promised your soul away
and you will forever
have the one with prillarhorns
watching over you from the shadows

(There is an old instrument in Norway named Prillarhorn which was a cow-horn which could be played. Prille is a Norwegian term for musical articulation or fingering, especially on the hardanger fiddle.)

11. Utreise - Departure

I blinde går jeg
Led meg ikke hjem
La natten føre meg
Bestandig frem

Blinded I walk
Do not lead me home
Let the night lead me
forever foreward

Only the lyrics of Ulvsblakk are missing - but I found nowhere where the complete lyrics are posted and frankly the ones that are posted are not correct, but although being Norwegian the versions of the song I have found online are not clear enough to get all the lyrics just from listening at it.

I see that all the translations say "can you more than..." in the first line, but I truly believe that what Garm is singing here is:

Kan du MERE ditt Fadervår?
Kaster du ikke/ingen skygge?
Ja, da har du lovet bort din sjel
Og du vil til bestandighet
Ha en med Prillarhorn
Som ser på deg fra skyggen

Have you forgotten the Lord's Prayer?
Do you no longer cast a shadow?
Then this is because you have sold your soul
And you will forever
Be followed by one with Prillarhorn
Who's watching you from the shadows

So the first two lines are signs/conditions of being soulless, leading to the conclusion that you are, if those conditions are true. I think the two most likely meanings of Prillarhorn in this context (selling your soul to the devil) is that of a Satyr/underworld dwelling mythical creature either having horns like that or playing on this instrument:

https://snl.no/prillarhorn

"kan du mer enn ditt Fadervår" makes little sense in my opinion.

Oh and an alternative translation/transcript of "Østenfor Sol og Vestenfor Maane" could be:

Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
- Dit skal menneskeætten aldri
... Til verdens ende bærer det

East of the sun and west of the moon
- Mankind will never go there
... To the end of the world we bear

Ord - Words

Ikke bør den love å vandre i mørket
Som ikke har sett natten

One should not promise to wander the darkness
When one have not seen the night

Okay, so I finally got hold of the actual Ulvsblakk lyrics:

Har du synen?
Kan du se at sola som svinn?

Og ein så...

Nauvakker er kveldknarren

Ulvsblakk den gjennom luften
I natten farar

Har du synen?
Kan du se at vindfall?

Og ein så...

Nauvakker er tuftekallen

Skumt er det der
den ulvsblakk farar

Tia har vørti mørk
Tora ropar høgt

[evil whisper] Stemninga vart uggin [laughter]

Av dag ein kvammes
For ulvsblakk er me.

Now the translation will be much easier, I believe.