My translation project: Translating (DT) lyrics

Defiance

I vårens ljusa kvällar
The title is pretty much self explanatory: I want to translate some DT lyrics and lyrics from other bands into Spanish; however, I really don't know which ones I should translate, both from DT and other bands (even if I do have a slight idea of the ones I want to translate). So, I'd like you to post the songs you'd like to see translated (even if you don't know castellano), and who knows, maybe your song will be the lucky winner! Bear in mind, this is to write an academic article (I already have the theory concerning song translation), so do try to take it seriously. And it'd be great if Niklas et al. would post their opinions too.

Tack!

- D.

Well in that case I'd recommend that you start with the best lyrics DT has got. Of course opinions will differ on this, but I'd say at least The Mundane and the Magic. Also Iridium, At Loss For Words, Monochromatic Stains and Punish My Heaven. As far as I can think of right now, those are my favorites.

Some of my favorite DT tracks in terms of tone are the really vicious, defiant ones off of Damage Done. The title track, for instance, has a lot of really powerful, ambiguous and ominous lines ("It seems these days are getting shorter" is one of the most oddly pleasing phrases I have ever heard in my life).

There's another line on in Single Part of Two: "We'd rather leave no trace and not look back/Than face the anxiety here and now". There's a special music in the rhythm of "leave no trace"/"not look back" that I like.

Also, Am I 1?: "You better check and see if it's me, in that coffin of yours." Brilliant.

I choose these because tone is one of the most challenging aspects language. Hitting the right tone in original writing in your primary language is difficult. Translating from one language to another and maintaining tone alongside meaning and rhythm is probably the highest form of the art. You're the professional translator, and you may disagree, so I will defer to your judgment in this regard.

I'm in the middle of a collection of Lorca essays right now, and I'm trying to figure out the "middle voice" that he keeps referring to. It's like a strong, but peaceful resoluteness. I have always been impressed with the simultaneously firm and lyrical tone that translations of his work convey, and it might be a cool experiment to try to match that. I use this as an example simply because it's my only real cross-language experience. I have read translated works (the Millenium Trilogy, for example), but with no context for the original language. I happen to have a bilingual edition of Lorca's Collected Poems that I keep handy that has allowed me some insight, though my Spanish is pretty terrible. (I have muddled through a few of your statuses, though!)

I am going to do it based on the survey of the favourite album here, so Projector and Damage Done will get the most translations (+ three from Void). And now, to decide which songs.

And yes, translation is really an art; to translate is to create an entirely new version; I am very familiar with DT's style, both lyrically and musically, so I believe I can achieve this and create a translation worthy of Dark Tranquillity.

Gotta love Lorca.

Haha any questions about Spanish just ask me.