Uncommon bands you know

No one ever mentions:

Devastation-SOL.jpg

Either.

Merciless Death is boring. Check out Witchtrap.

And my friend's band, Eliminator: www.myspace.com/eliminatorus. They're recording a four song EP (maybe with an additional cover or two) next month I believe. The artwork will be done by Ed Repka.

Devastation from Chicago > Devastation from Texas. Sindrome from Chicago is better too.

I have to second Devastation, it's damned close to early death metal but still remains within the boundaries of thrash, and half/half on Witchburner, the two albums I have (the first two) are pretty generic and bland, like the riffs other bands would have used but they didn't quite make the cut but still passable... But what I've heard from their later material (one song only, German Thrashing War) makes up for that, killer song.

Legion of Darkness (black metal)
Carnun Rising (contemporary old school death metal)
West Wall (melodic death metal)
Ordog (avant garde raw black metal)
Burial Hordes (black metal)
Hegemon (a great French bm band that stragely is never mentioned)
Odious (black metal)
Hexenhammer (death metal)
Wrust (death metal)
Amok Vedar (black metal)
Disguise (black metal)
Dungelgrafen (black metal)
Grabnebelfursten (black metal)
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (black metal)
Grimness (thrashy black metal)
Negator (black metal)
Zarathustra (blackened thrash)
Desecrator (old school death metal from the early 90s)

and much much more

Asyphyx rules. They are the definition of truly heavy death metal, not brutal death metal. One thing I don't understand, however, is that everyone disagrees with me when I say they are very thrashy, and I am told that they are doomy instead. I think the guitar technique on their early work is as thrashy as fuck (lots of very thrashy palm muted rhythmic picking patters, not much tremolo picking, etc.). In fact, I think a lot of old school slower paced death metal sounds thrasy to my ears.