Underoath Synth-NEED HELP

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
Hey ya'll,

So I'm doing a studio cover of Underoath's awesome song "It's Dangerous Business...." and all is well, except for the damn synth in the song. I have no clue how I can replicate that with Nexus. I have the notes, but I can't find the right tone, and I'm not really synth savvy just yet, still learning that part of production. Most bands I get are just straight up metalcore.

So any clue how I can get the synth close enough to the synth at 0:19 in the song? And also the synth/ambient part at 0:47. Sounds like a guitar, and some weird efects going on.

Any help is much appreciated!

Heres the song for a quick reference:

Last edited by a moderator:
synth arp with envelope filter sent to an LFO while changing the speed of the LFO and changing the frequency cutoff and resonance on the filter.

***this can all be automated

edit: here is a really quick example... it took approx 3 min to make this.

synth arp with envelope filter sent to an LFO while changing the speed of the LFO and changing the frequency cutoff and resonance on the filter.

***this can all be automated

Synth arp is one of the Nexus presets? And thanks for the quick help Tim!

Synth arp is one of the Nexus presets? And thanks for the quick help Tim!

:lol:

no, that is not the name of a preset.

synth: informal word for a synthesizer

arp: informal word for arpeggio

put them together using a standard square wav osc on any subtractive/additive synthesizer, you get - "synth arp"

you might find a preset in some synth that resembles the one in question however i am certain that the purpose of that particular synth patch, was to be unique and creative... hence the random properties of the LFO.

like i said though, it doesn't take very long to create one from scratch.

best of luck to you. ;)

:lol:

no, that is not the name of a preset.

synth: informal word for a synthesizer

arp: informal word for arpeggio

put them together using a standard square wav on any synthesizer, you get - "synth arp"

you might find a preset in some synth that resembles the one in question however i am certain that the purpose of that particular synth patch, was to be unique and creative... hence the random properties of the LFO.

like i said though, it doesn't take very long to create one from scratch.

best of luck to you. ;)

Thanks, and like I said, not too synth savvy, but I do know what synth is short for. I just don't know the whole patch thing and getting the right/or close enough tone, and of course the synth is very unique, but I want the cover to be as close as possible.

why not cover the song in your own way?

personally, i think it's boring when people try to model cover songs to the "T".

never heard a cover song i liked that was the same as the original.

I will most likely, mostly out of frustration, do my own synth.