Ayreon synth sound... help?

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
The newest release, 01011001, on disc two, the last track "The Sixth Extinction", there is this absolutely awesome synth sound/solo...

I'm not very synth-savvy, so any help figuring out what type of sound it is, would be awesome...

It just sounds so epic and evil...

edit: Timestamp is around 7:00 into the track... right after "Prepare to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie".... fucking awesome.

hey!! why no one answer this cuestion before??? Thats sound my friend is a Minimoog,

You shoul try the demos of the arturia and g force emulations.. both are Awesome and sound excactly in the way you were looking for.

note that that sound has a very fats lfo mudulation when it tourns to the evil side

Actually, I believe the sound is coming from Nord Lead 3, as that solo is played by Joost van den Broek who uses that synth (exclusively?) for his solos.

Anyway, I don't know what the basic waveform used here is (most likely saw), but the main ingredient is 3 oscs in separate octaves, or you could get away with 2 oscs 2 octaves apart. Filter quite open with a nice bit of resonance to get that "shine" to the sound, then add portamento (glide), delays etc.

Oh yes, fast LFO modulating the osc pitch (ie. vibrato :) ) for the warble. Could also be modulating slightly the filter and/or the amp when it's hit fully. The sound of the warble suggests something other than a basic sine lfo wave, maybe a triangle.

Halfway through sounds like it's put through a wah pedal and an amp.

Mind you this just off the top of my head, would have to actually try and program something to see if all this really works! The NL3 could have some tricks up it's sleeve that I don't know of, only got to play one once for 10mins, going through the presets.. I know it can do morphs, so lots of things can be modulated at the same time.