Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Unholy Ghost – Torrential Reign
Olympic Recordings – OLY 0237-2 - 2004
By Rodrigo Escandon

unholy.jpg

As most of you may have read in previous reviews, I have been critical of bands, no matter the genre, that come out with an album that offers nothing new to the table. Power metal and melodic death bands are usually my main target of criticism, but death metal bands are not far behind either and Unholy Ghost is the latest target.

Torrential Reign is the debut album for this Tampa (where else) based death metal band, and what they offer is nothing you haven’t heard in the past 15 years from countless others. All the usual Florida death metal elements are present, such as relentless blast-beats, guttural vocals and dual shredding guitars. It is not bad in a musical sense - I got excited over a few songs like “Eyes of Lost” - as the band plays with a lot of confidence. There is also obviously a lot of talent involved, since three of these guys were ex-members of Diabloic and the fourth member is from Pessimist. I have no issues whatsoever as far as the band’s talent and playing capabilities are concerned, it all boils down to the fact that bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel were playing this exact music years ago, which that leads me to another sad part.

It is really obvious what the band is trying to do, and that may be the reason why they are signed to a major label while other underground bands that offer a lot more don’t get signed. I guess Unholy Ghost’s music can move a few more album sales but with releases like these why would anybody bother buying this? I am sure that any fan of death metal has plenty of options in their current catalog that they would rather listen than to Torrential Reign. Unless you need to own every death metal release this is totally avoidable.

5/10

Unholy Ghost Official Website
Olympic Recordings Official Website