Unidentified drum samples

HSL

Oct 25, 2009
Hey guys. I've come across a pack full of some great drum samples and as of now I can't identify where they're from. The filenames are like below

3X14BEL1.wav - 3X14BEL9.wav
4X12TH10.wav - 4X12TH19.wav
5X14BLA1.wav - 5X14BLAC.wav
65X1410.wav - 65X14E9.wav
7X14yougetthepoint

These are awfully nice snare samples, most sound like they've got room mics on them. I like them so much that I'll maybe use them for a project. I'm wary of using unidentified samples though since they may be from a sample library that you have pay for, and I definitely don't want that to happen and get into trouble.

If it's ok I'll post a sample or two here to see if we can identify them but let's see if someone can recognize these filenames first.

Great that you are asking this... honesty is good =)

I can't identify those names, they don't ring any bells. I don't think it'll hurt to post a few samples to try to identify them.. well, I hope not atleast.

I got a message from someone saying they may be Bob Clearmountain samples, but I'm not so sure of that. Here's a few from the set.

After they're identified I'll probably take down the link.

I've compared these to other samples that I've bought but none match up. There are some KILLER snares in that pack I got and I always make sure to buy before I use them.

A good reason why I want to buy them is because maybe there's a 'room mic' setting. These samples have the room mics inherent so getting the full version may allow you to tweak it like I want. Who knows though, maybe they're homemade or something.

I wonder what'll happen if we can't identify them. I'm not familiar with the rules when it comes to this, as in finding something in the internet jungle but not knowing where it came from, but it would be nice if we could use them somehow. I haven't listened to the samples yet though but if you say they're killer ... =)

kinda sound like 3 different depths of a bellbrass type snare.....maybe they are samples from a drum maker's website....their labeling scheme isn't similar to the clearmountain samples labeling

These samples have been around close to 10 years. I've seen them in a zillion studios sample folders, very widely ciculated. Everytime i see em the date created date says july2001. I even went back to check. Not sure where they came from, but i've had em for years. TONS of people got em.

Never used em though... but some of em do sound nice, most just have too much room on em for normal use.

These seem to be from 2004 from checking the date. Not sure if I'll use them or not...

I got these, in fact, I downloaded them from this forum and they are indeed very nice.
I think I read the name once, I'll try to see if I can find out, but they are definitely NOT home made.

I got these, in fact, I downloaded them from this forum and they are indeed very nice.
I think I read the name once, I'll try to see if I can find out, but they are definitely NOT home made.

Perfect, lemme know if you find anything. I may look into getting them if we can find the name :)

I can almost confirm 100% that these are Clearmountain samples now, so I'm taking the link down.

The problem is that these are out of print so I'm basically screwed. I looked online and didn't find a place selling them. The only way I'd probably be able to buy them is find someone with a copy and buy it off them. I'd do it if I knew someone with one.

I'm still hesitant to use them though, don't want to get into trouble and I don't know if it's ok even if they're OOP.

I'm pretty sure you could use them in a project if you wanted without getting into trouble, but for the sake of doing it right and you know... morale and all that, it would be the correct thing to do to try to buy them first.

I can almost confirm 100% that these are Clearmountain samples now, so I'm taking the link down.

The problem is that these are out of print ...

I'm still hesitant to use them though, don't want to get into trouble and I don't know if it's ok even if they're OOP.

As far as copyright goes, using the samples in a mix isn't the problem - it's creating a copy of the sample file in the first place. If they're copyrighted, whoever put the files on your computer broke copyright law by doing so.

If you think they're Bob Clearmountain's you could email him (his website is mixthis.com) and ask if he owns the copyright. If so all you need is his permission to make your having the samples legit, or if they're currently available repackaged he might be able to tell you where.

Maybe this is the one?
http://www.timespace.com/product/pr...hp?SKU=QkNEMi03MA==&list_value=22&list_type=2

Actually, after comparing these a bit more, I've found it isn't Bob Clearmountain. Though they're VERY similar. This is driving me nuts :lol:

I think I'll keep'em on hand and just use them, I've got the intention of buying it if I ever find what it is anyway so I think that's good enough :)