Unplugged/acoustic recommendations?

Random Axe

Common Sense Man!
Sep 27, 2002
Cincinnati, OH
Visit site
I am putting together a compilation for someone and am looking for the best acoustic tunes done by prog rock/metal or whatever bands. We're talking wood, strings and voice, emotional and moving stuff. I have quite a few already, some I consider elite and am looking for some more, stuff I've missed out on. I know some power metal bands have recorded unplugged material I'm unaware of, so hit me with it please. I consider Evergrey's Madness Caught Another Victim to be in that elite status based on subject matter and unique tuning. Great song. Stuff like that is what I'm after or even sappy love songs. I've got some Amazon bucks to spend and will be downloading based on your posts. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

While not a prog band, Gotthard's "D-Frosted" is the best acoustic rock disc I own. Hell, it's one of the best live discs I own. Stevie Lee is out of his vocal mind, the band is tight as hell, and the sound is immaculate.

And one from the studio:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything from Opeth's Damnation!!! Firehouse's
Good Acoustics, Tesla's amazing Five Man Acoustical Jam,
Whitesnake's Starkers in Tokyo, Elegy has an acoustic album too!

If you can even find it

Orne - The Conjuration by the fire

also
Borknagar - Origin
Agalloch - The White EP
Drudkh - do some digging (lots of albums)
Alcest - anything, very haunting introspective stuff
Opeth - Damnation (ditto to someone else recommending this one)

there's some to get you started...

If you want pure raw emotion with just a voice and guitar then you need to get Richie Kotzen - Acoustic Cuts. Phenomenal stuff.

I totally forgot about Damnation. That had some nice stuff on it. I'll have to grab that again or find mine. Thanks for the help so far. Some nice tunes in there. I'll definitely check into the Kotzen stuff.

It was very under-the-radar but we did an unplugged release with cello/violin/guitars/djembe-

A Song for Crows:

Throne of Rust:

Katatonia's newest iteration of their album Dead End Kings.

Hexvessel is just so haunting and awesome.

Next to Gotthard's "Dfrosted", my next favorite acoustic cd is Scorpion's "Acoustica"......great CD and DVD

Everyone has made some pretty awesome suggestions so far. If I could add just one, it would be the live unplugged album that Dokken released in 1996 called "One Live Night." There are some absolutely beautiful songs on that album, and it's amazing how well some of those 80s tunes translate to an acoustic setting. George Lynch did play electric guitar on the album, but it's mostly for the solos. I highly recommend the album.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Doubt you'll find a hard copy of this (because they're very obscure and out of print), but Uaral is my suggestion.

The album Sounds of Pain... is very aptly titled, but has some choice acoustic work. Here's my favorite track: