Unwritten Pages feat. Damian Wilson/Karl Groom

Fredator

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2010
UP.jpg

Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to introduce you to my project for a while now; Richard said it would be okay to use this forum to shamelessly promote my upcoming album (although he may have put it somewhat differently ;))

It's a concept album that took me 6 years to finish, mostly due to time/money restraints (I am not a full-time musician and had to self-finance this project). Also, I wanted to make sure that every aspect gets the same high-quality treatment from start to finish, be it the artwork or the music itself. And so this average Joe did it step by step.

I was fortunate enough to get in contact with Karl in the early stages of the project when I asked him if he would be available for mastering (I believe that was in 2005). Then 2 years ago I met him after a show and he goes like:
"Oh, the project is still alive?"
"Yeah, it's just taking longer than I thought..."
"Oh!"
"Yeah..."
Karl eventually recorded an epic solo for one of the songs on the album and finished his mastering duties a while ago.

Damian, who's been friends with our drummer Davy, one day called during the drum recording sessions at Excess Studios, Rotterdam. I remember Davy handing over his phone.
"For you."
"Who is it?"
"Damian Wilson."
"Oh..."
And so things got rolling with Damian. We met up several times in Holland and then last year we finally had him at Pancake Land (our studio in Sittard, Netherlands). Needless to say, Damian did a fantastic job; we basically got to chose from 3 perfect takes for each song.

That's pretty much how they got involved.

But enough talk, you can check out some of the music right here:
http://www.ilike.com/artist/Unwritten+Pages

We've also started a community page on Facebook for those interested.

Finally, we have a MySpace profile: www.myspace.com/unwrittenpages (what's with the horrible audio quality on MySpace?)

Thanks for your time, guys! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

Sounds very promising, I like the Mediterranean influences on Deimos' Theme :)

And I saw that Mattias Noren did the artwork! Very nice :) Does that mean you'll come see him in Baarlo at Progpower Europe in October? I'll be there and I wouldn't mind buying an album off you then, if it's out by then!

Sounds very promising, I like the Mediterranean influences on Deimos' Theme :)

And I saw that Mattias Noren did the artwork! Very nice :) Does that mean you'll come see him in Baarlo at Progpower Europe in October? I'll be there and I wouldn't mind buying an album off you then, if it's out by then!

Hoi Cello,

Bedankt voor het compliment! Glad to hear you like Deimos' Theme. That one used to be a real troublemaker; before Ruth laid down her vocals I wasn't even sure if I wanted it to be on the album. She did a great job though and I think it turned out great all in all.

As for a possible release date - I have no idea yet. Digital distribution is something I really, really want (including a high-res version of the booklet which was indeed designed by Mattias) but it has to be done the right way.
We're also looking into record labels to get the album to the people the old-fashioned way, but digital distribution is where I really see the most potential.

By the way, one more track will be added to our iLike/MySpace profiles soon, but it's going to be a medley with samples from the remaining tracks.

I like what i read, and i haven't even heared the first note:lol:

i like what i hear aswell, and as always i want to hold a real cd.
I don't like digital distibution. To me it feels too much like an empty shell.

@ Cello ask Richard to do some gues vocals, that way you to can do some shameless self promiting here :)

I like what i read, and i haven't even heared the first note:lol:

i like what i hear aswell, and as always i want to hold a real cd.
I don't like digital distibution. To me it feels too much like an empty shell.

@ Cello ask Richard to do some gues vocals, that way you to can do some shameless self promiting here :)

Cheers, Ayreonaut. I think I have seen you around before :loco:

I think most of us like to get their hands on a physical copy. Case, booklet, cd... it simply holds more value than a file on your computer. I am working hard to get it done and have a few options to (potentially!) make it happen. On the other hand, I don't want to have to delay the album yet another year, so it might happen at a later stage. Nothing is certain yet though, so let's hope your (and my) wish comes true hehe.

Cheers, Ayreonaut. I think I have seen you around before :loco:

I think most of us like to get their hands on a physical copy. Case, booklet, cd... it simply holds more value than a file on your computer. I am working hard to get it done and have a few options to (potentially!) make it happen. On the other hand, I don't want to have to delay the album yet another year, so it might happen at a later stage. Nothing is certain yet though, so let's hope your (and my) wish comes true hehe.

I'm hard to miss, a 1,90 ADHD energizer Bunny.... :lol:

As for a release, nothing worng with an initial (self or fan) financed release, i have many of those...

hmm looks like you have a stong Stream of Passion backbone, i was wondering where i heared the name before....

:lol:

As for our SoP backbone - it's a small world really. I got in touch with Davy through Ruth. They both attended the Rock Academy in Tilburg back in the days. And you know how one thing leads to another (hence Alejandro).

Hey it's a good thing, it means i know several people who are interested as soon as it is released... And fortunately for you i am one of those people who spread the word:lol:

Hey, we can use all the help we can get so it's much appreciated :)

Hoi Cello,

Bedankt voor het compliment! Glad to hear you like Deimos' Theme. That one used to be a real troublemaker; before Ruth laid down her vocals I wasn't even sure if I wanted it to be on the album. She did a great job though and I think it turned out great all in all.

As for a possible release date - I have no idea yet. Digital distribution is something I really, really want (including a high-res version of the booklet which was indeed designed by Mattias) but it has to be done the right way.
We're also looking into record labels to get the album to the people the old-fashioned way, but digital distribution is where I really see the most potential.

By the way, one more track will be added to our iLike/MySpace profiles soon, but it's going to be a medley with samples from the remaining tracks.

Hi!

I really like the tracks on ilike, very good prog! (Rare nowadays.) I was totally hooked as soon as the first one started playing, so you should be ashamed of yourself because I was trying to get some work done, and now I can't. Bollocks (hehe).

But seriously, those are some great tracks. I'm having an eargasm with Deimos' Theme, who's the woman that sings? I really like her voice.

Concerning the release, I hope there's something out soon! I'd love an LP, but wouldn't mind buying a digital version if it comes with the booklet in PDF format.

Kudos to you!

- Daniel.

Hi Defiance,

Thanks for the kind words! It sure feels good to - finally! - be sharing some of the tunes. Join us on Facebook if you like, it's slowly turning into a nice little community and another track will be released there soon (which is going to be a medley by the way).

The woman on Deimos' Theme is an old friend of mine, Ruth Maassen: www.ruthmaassen.com

If you want to help us out, you can always spread the word and share the positive vibe with others.

Cheers :kickass:

Hi Defiance,

Thanks for the kind words! It sure feels good to - finally! - be sharing some of the tunes. Join us on Facebook if you like, it's slowly turning into a nice little community and another track will be released there soon (which is going to be a medley by the way).

The woman on Deimos' Theme is an old friend of mine, Ruth Maassen: www.ruthmaassen.com

If you want to help us out, you can always spread the word and share the positive vibe with others.

Cheers :kickass:

Hi!

Of course I'll spread the word, I thought that was implicit in the previous message hahaha. I hate facebook (and twitter and all that stuff), I have mySpace and added you as a friend.

Thanks for the link, cheers!

I hate facebook (and twitter and all that stuff), I have mySpace and added you as a friend.

Thanks for the link, cheers!

Between you and I - I can't argue with the Facebook hate, it deserves plenty of it ;-) Thanks for adding us to your MySpace!

I remember Unwritten Pages from the old SoP board, though I haven't been there in ages and I figured this project was long dead. I'm glad to see it's nearing release. I wonder what it'll be like. I'll let myself be surprised and wait for the full album release. Somehow loose songs on MySpace can't give me a proper idea. Speaking of which, I've MySpaced you as well.

Cheers.

Hi Leppy,

We I am not going to blame you for thinking the project was dead. Lack of updates really. When I realized that the project was going to take a lot longer than I'd originally anticipated, I figured that news flashes like "We're making good progress" or "It's coming soon!" get old real fast ;) Besides, not many people were aware of the project so I thought I'd just let it go and concentrate on the actual album. Let me conclude this by saying that extended production times like this take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride - with all of its ups and downs.

Anyway, thanks for checking in. I am glad you didn't check us out on MySpace - everything we put on MySpace sounds lo-res and downscaled. Anyone know what's up with that?

For those who want to check it out properly: http://www.ilike.com/artist/Unwritten+Pages

Hi Leppy,

We I am not going to blame you for thinking the project was dead. Lack of updates really. When I realized that the project was going to take a lot longer than I'd originally anticipated, I figured that news flashes like "We're making good progress" or "It's coming soon!" get old real fast ;) Besides, not many people were aware of the project so I thought I'd just let it go and concentrate on the actual album. Let me conclude this by saying that extended production times like this take you on an emotional rollercoaster ride - with all of its ups and downs.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I bet it was a bumpy ride. Still, I'm glad it's coming along, albeit slowly. Sometimes slow's the only speed. I myself am working on some projects and I honestly say I should probably work on them more, but various reasons don't allow it. I know what it's like.

Anyway, thanks for checking in. I am glad you didn't check us out on MySpace - everything we put on MySpace sounds lo-res and downscaled. Anyone know what's up with that?

Same story with YouTube. Prolly to encourage visitors to get the actual product. Either that, or neither got a proper way to do it...which seems strange for companies like that.

Thanks for hanging in there with us! I hope you get your projects finished, at least the ones that are really important to you!

Well, I am glad to say the product as a whole is done and that we are currently sealing the deal with a really cool label. Can't give you a name until everything's signed, but I would say it's 95% certain that we will sign our lives away next week (hehe, just messin'...). They will take care of both digital and - rejoice, rejoice - physical distribution!