Update and clues on the next album...

Clay, that's awesome. I consider Synchestra a great mix of Devin's work, mostly Terria meets Infinity meets SYL kind of stuff. Have you heard that Devin asked Fredrik from Meshuggah to guest on the upcoming album? I think Jens is also doing some vocals on that one along with Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. It's going to be great. Now if only he would also get Garm from Ulver to make an appearance. Are you an Ulver fan too?

Clay, that's awesome. I consider Synchestra a great mix of Devin's work, mostly Terria meets Infinity meets SYL kind of stuff. Have you heard that Devin asked Fredrik from Meshuggah to guest on the upcoming album? I think Jens is also doing some vocals on that one along with Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. It's going to be great. Now if only he would also get Garm from Ulver to make an appearance. Are you an Ulver fan too?

Interesting, you named all of the main influences of another band I work with, The Ciem Show. I helped mix their album, Lifelike Scenes (the band made it available FREE here), and was recently hired to play saxophone, guitar, and keys for their live shows.

Meshuggah is one of my favorites; no one can get a guitar to sound like they do. Fredrik's solos are some of the most interesting and emotional I've ever heard. I think my favorite is the "None" EP, mostly for the guitar work. I haven't listened to them, or any metal for that matter, in a long time so maybe I'll spin some Meshuggah on my way to work.

I honestly never got into Devin Townsend and I plan to listen to more to formulate a more solid opinion. I was introduced to him via Steve Vai's "Sex and Religion," which I think was his debut. He's got a cool voice and I like the experimentalism with his music, just the guitar sound and production of his CDs was always a turnoff to me. Again, I'm going to listen to some more, as he's put on a pedestal by so many people that I feel I'm missing something!

To be completely honest...I've never listened to them. I guess I know what I'm doing later tonight.

To be completely honest...I've never listened to them. I guess I know what I'm doing later tonight.

Ulver is one of those bands that completely changed their sound during their career like Amorphis did. I've only heard some of their new stuff, which is pretty interesting avant-garde/artsy electronica. Apparently their old stuff is black metal.