Update on tabs

lars k norberg

musician
Oct 30, 2005
Good news: Steinar has made tabs for Spinning and Insect.
Bad news: They’re handwritten.
Good news: I’ve been working on them this summer, adding also bass.
Bad news: I got fed up when the program I’m using insisted on acting stupid.
Very bad news: I need to read the manual...!

Tabs are coming up when I’ve got the time. We’ve not yet decided if we’re going to release complete songs or just excerpts.

i've tried tabs of SA that i found somewhere but i only got the first 10 seconds correct and then on both hands my fingers (and my brain) got lost, i'm afraid that it will happen again but i will try it again for sure! :)

I've actually passed one summer to transcribe the entire album for bass - believe it or not. Slowing down the songs helps, of course, but some things have been quite unclear. Hearing now about dropped tunings in certain parts sheds some light on that...
I wonder how much my notes do correspond to the truth - looking forward to comparing...

lars k norberg said:
Good news: Steinar has made tabs for Spinning and Insect.
Bad news: They’re handwritten.
Good news: I’ve been working on them this summer, adding also bass.
Bad news: I got fed up when the program I’m using insisted on acting stupid.
Very bad news: I need to read the manual...!

Tabs are coming up when I’ve got the time. We’ve not yet decided if we’re going to release complete songs or just excerpts.

Well if the tabs happen at the same rate as albums, it might be a while...

:loco:

Neil K.

NK said:
Well if the tabs happen at the same rate as albums, it might be a while...

:loco:

Neil K.

hehe !!! ... let's hope that this is not the case... cause we'll end up waiting a very looooong time :erk:

Lars, I have a suggestion: since you're having troube writing the tabs using whatever program you are using, i suggest you use Guitar Pro V4.1.0. Best program i've known... you can write everything on it in one file. i.e: guitars, bass, drums, and even keyboards and vocal lines if necessary :) I've already written a good number of songs using this program, and i feel more than comfortable using it... if you end up using it and have any questions at all (about the program ofcourse), please don't hestitate to ask :D
....and yeah... please release full songs, and by that, i mean that Asgeir should pitch in and write the drums :D... a special request from me: "Excessit" (full version).... pleeeeeeease :hotjump: :p

Occam's Razor said:
I've actually passed one summer to transcribe the entire album for bass - believe it or not.

I believe you. I'm impressed by the questions you sent me, giving me a hard time figuring out what I'm doing myself..!

I'm flattered now...but tabbing does not mean that I can play it all. "Insect" is what I am wholly through practising, and it works at about 90 percent speed.
At the moment though, it is Bach's cello suites - makes for some interesting finger patterns when you play things composed for instruments with different tunings.

asgeir said:
There's a slight problem: I don't know what I'm playing. I just "press play on tape".

- Asgeir

YEAH SURE !!! :Smug: ... like i'm supposed to believe that you have no idea what you're playing everytime... just bashing those toms and cymbals... right ?? (LOL) ... i mean if you play what comes to mind in songs, then everytime you play live, you play each song's drum lines differenly?? :loco: ... i suggest you use (like i already told Lars) Guitar Pro V4.1.0. Excellent program... easy to write your drum lines there... then pass 'em over to Lars... and then voala... we got ourselves some good old full song tabs :D

with all those poly-rhythms going on you'd think things were a little more "worked out" but hey- dont mess with perfection
just hit record and play what comes naturally? sheer talent~~~
i tried to get my drummer to play more like Asgeir
(yeah right) since SA music tends to go over peoples heads without
listening to it over and over(and over)he quickly became discouraged and thought i was trying to put him on the spot!
(sigh)
tabs r fine but focusing on ones OWN creative talent and songwriting
might tend to be more rewarding and less stressful!
:worship: to the band!