Update on - Till Death Do Us Part

I hope Deicide stays around. Since Glen doesn't want to tour anymore, it's not that hard recording an album's vocal tracks every couple years. I wonder if this means he's done with Vital Remains?

I almost forgot about this forum hahaha.... anyways, i've been a long time deicide fan, and the new track kind of reminds me of serpents, I love this shit... reminds me of how deicide used to get me pumped up, and as much as some people might say "meh, same old shit", I prefer the same old shit to what some bands call "creative experimentation", changing up shit and what not. I like consistency, and to me, this song is as death metal as it gets, period. Can't wait till it's leaked so I can enjoy it before I buy. This will make the young kids balls drop, guaranteed.

Darren Cowan of Blistering.com recently conducted an interview with DEICIDE drummer Steve Asheim. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:
Blistering.com: How do you feel about your forthcoming album "Till Death Do Us Part"?
Steve Asheim: I feel pretty stoked about it. There was a really high expectation on it because of "Stench of Redemption". That album was highly regarded, as far as DEICIDE records are concerned. Trying to top that was a bit of a worry, but once we started rolling on "Till Death Do Us Part", I wasn't even thinking about "Stench of Redemption" anymore. "Till Death Do Us Part" almost wrote itself. The music was done in about three weeks, and then I thought, "This is gonna work just fine." It was a little bit until vocals and leads came together, but once they did This album is clearly up there with "Stench of Redemption" as far as quality, songwriting and stuff like that. Stench of Redemption" was maybe a little too melodic for most DEICIDE fans. "Till Death Do Us Part" tweaks that down, making it more disturbing, less melodic, and definitely more sinister sounding.
Blistering.com: Ralph Santolla (ex-ICED EARTH, OBITUARY) has played on the last two albums. This album he is listed as a session member. Why is he only a session member and not a full member of the band? Will he be touring with the band?
Steve Asheim: He's a session member because he officially left the band to join OBITUARY, which was over a year ago. He did their record, and he's been touring with them for about a year. He's slated to tour with them for the rest of this year, and DEICIDE doesn't have any shows. That's why he stopped in as a session player, because he is not in the band anymore, although he meant to do the record. He actually had to get it done in between tours of OBITUARY. They would be on the road, they would finish up, and he would stop in the studio on a week off in between tours. He would stop off and play a few leads, and then go back out on the road. He actually did that twice. He did another tour, which was about five weeks, and then came back and was able to do another couple days of work in the studio. For that reason, I say he is a guest/session member for us. If we can manage to get on the road, and Ralph doesn't have to be busy with OBITUARY or some other project, we hope to get him out on the road with us. That is something that has yet to be seen. It just comes down to scheduling and stuff like that.
Blistering.com: I spoke to Dave (Suzuki, drums/guitaris) of VITAL REMAINS at their show last year. We were talking about Glen not touring with them. He also said that Glen didn't tour with DEICIDE in Europe. Does that have to do with his divorce? Is this why you aren't touring right now?
Steve Asheim: It actually is why we aren't touring. It's too bad. It is really an unfortunate situation for everyone, for VITAL REMAINS, for DEICIDE, for Glen, especially for the fans. Our record company and everyone involved with DEICIDE were hit really hard by this, but there isn't a whole lot anyone can done. There is life and there is business. The band is definitely a part of everyone's life, but when it comes down to something like family, it definitely falls under business. Sometimes, you first have to take care of your family business, so that is what he had to do. He has taken quite a bit of time off over a year and a half. He's still taking time off. We are just doing what we can to keep ourselves busy. For VITAL REMAINS, life has to go on. It's the same with DEICIDE and the same with me. I'm working on a bunch of other projects [note: Earache will make an announcement about his forthcoming project in the new few months]. I'm just trying to stay busy. I want to get back out on the road somehow. Even though he can't go on the road, I still got a life. I don't want to be sidelined for a year and a half for some problem that isn't mine. I want to get back out there.
To read the entire interview, go to www.blistering.com.

Mmmmh, interesting. But it seems Deicide is kinda over to me. With Glen not being able to tour anymore. Sad. Well, let's see what Steve has on its hands with his other projects. Maybe something witch includes the Hoffmanns??!!???

I highly doubt the hoffmans will be joining forces with steve, or even make any sort of come back at all... they have been MIA for about four years now, and I doubt they had enough money saved to sustain themselves for this long, so if they were going to make a comeback into the music scene, im sure it would have been done already. And besides, from what I understand, they haven't written much music for deicide since legion, so what you hear on outc and forward is all steve's doing anyways. with the exception of "to be dead" and "confessional rape" according to glen, which makes sense because those songs don't seem to mesh as well with the rest of the album.

Nah he still has to make money. He'll do vocals on Deicide and Vital Remains albums for a while yet I think.

You got yourself a Toneport GX yet? ;)
No, it'd be cool, I may buy me that thing you recommend for recording on Ebay, I'm going to finish up recording my death metal album over the summer using my same old system, but I need to get me a drum machine and lower the vox a little, shouldnt take long, got 3 recorded already, and 3 chorus riffs made out, etc... It'll get done...I just wish the production would be clear enough for a label interesting in releasing it.:erk:

SickDrummer.com recently caught up with DEICIDE's founding member Steve Asheim to talk shop about drumming, his influences and how both he and his drum kit choices have evolved throughout his illustrious career:
On his pre-show warm-up routine:
"I just practice some rudiments and rolls on my knee or a chair or something. I don't like lugging around practice pads or extra kits or rehearsal tools. On the road, I like to travel light, It's less stuff to lose or get stolen."
On his finest performances:
"The best playing I've ever done was rehearsing alone, with nobody around to hear it. If I could have captured some of those nights on a recording, my releases would have come out twice as good as they did."
His advice to young drummers:
"My advice would be to learn how to play other instruments and learn to write music. That has kept me in this business for 18 years and still going. With the ability to write music, you can write yourself an album to play on every two years. If I had not known how to play guitar or write music, I'd have been done by '93 and this interview would not be taking place."
Read the entire interview at www.sickdrummer.com.
DEICIDE's newest album, "Till Death Do Us Part", will be issued on limited-edition version vinyl. 1,500 copies total will be produced in the following colors:
Red Vinyl (Limited to 500 copies)
Blue Vinyl (Limited to 400 copies)
Green Vinyl (Limited to 300 copies)
Clear Vinyl (Limited to 200 copies)
Gold Vinyl (Limited to 100 copies)
Pre-order your limited-edition colored vinyls, import picture disc vinyls, ultra limited edition CD packs and more.

Whow, damn I'd like to have one copy of each version.
But I already gave up on collecting rare records. So...
Seems Earache are squeezing Deicide's last record for them.

I highly doubt the hoffmans will be joining forces with steve, or even make any sort of come back at all... they have been MIA for about four years now, and I doubt they had enough money saved to sustain themselves for this long, so if they were going to make a comeback into the music scene, im sure it would have been done already. And besides, from what I understand, they haven't written much music for deicide since legion, so what you hear on outc and forward is all steve's doing anyways. with the exception of "to be dead" and "confessional rape" according to glen, which makes sense because those songs don't seem to mesh as well with the rest of the album.

I guess you're right. But it was a rhethorical question anyways. Just asked because I've heard somewhere that the Hoffmanns reanimated AMON without Steve and Benton.

I guess you're right. But it was a rhethorical question anyways. Just asked because I've heard somewhere that the Hoffmanns reanimated AMON without Steve and Benton.

Without Steve (the guy that writes all the music) and Glen (the guy that writes the lyrics and is the charismatic frontman) AMON are nothing but a couple of guys who were never very good at playing solos anyway.

in the eyes of god is a more energetic song, but till death is definately just as good, it has a slower darker vibe to it... i cant fucking wait to hear all of it, i haven't been this excited for an album in a very long time.

The new album is kickass, it has a darker production, and I like the guitar work Jack And Ralph did. I don't see Steve as a guitarist really, and cant see him writing all the crazy stuff going on even though he is credited as writing all the music (which I think is bullshit). I wonder if its nearing Deicides demise, due to all the crap going on, and they aren't touring so how do you promote the new album? Especially when you are Deicide!

I've heard a few songs from the new Deicide album on XM Radio, they were all good songs, In The Eyes of God and Angel of Agony are probably my favorites I've heard so far. I'll be getting the new Deicide eventually.

I got the new record for one week now and it's still rotating in my player. It's really, really awesome! Why some people don't get how great this record is, is beyond me. It's definitely in my top five Deicide records. I love the artwork, layout, lyrics and the music. Just an incredible package. And I had not so much fun listening to a record for a long time. Now I wanna see them on tour!!!!!