Urban what can I expect from backing vocals ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
One of Tad Morose's strong suits are the backing vocals. I noticed on the liner notes that there was a guest helping with backing vocals. How many in the band sing harmony ? Can I expect something close to the studio vocals ?

Bryant

The guest was Stefan Zell, (Wolverine). They all do. Sometimes well, at other times...well, ehrmmm, enough said :) As far as the album goes every single harmony line has me on it and on a few tracks Stefan adds his voice to mine. For obvious reasons we can't do everything on the album, (not enough voices in the band), so we arrange things slightly differently. Would you rather we use a HDD for backing vocals? :)

What is an HDD, is it related to a Karaoke machine only instead of music it plays voices?

Urban breed said:
The guest was Stefan Zell, (Wolverine). They all do. Sometimes well, at other times...well, ehrmmm, enough said :) As far as the album goes every single harmony line has me on it and on a few tracks Stefan adds his voice to mine. For obvious reasons we can't do everything on the album, (not enough voices in the band), so we arrange things slightly differently. Would you rather we use a HDD for backing vocals? :)

Urban breed said:

Well, a live show is never gonna sound 100% like what the music sounds in a studio album...that's a given, hence the adrenaline and power of the live performance...as to backing vocals I think that as long as the voices doing it are not that horrid and out of key it still works! Unless you want me accompanied by a few here howling those parts :tickled:

Maybe you could ask a good singer in another band on the billing to do some backing vocals, even hidden backstage hehe :Spin:

I'm not against vox samples though, it depends on how it is done, how loud they are in the mix, etc.
WASP have always used this trick for their backing vocals. Jag Panzer also do it on some songs, and probably many other bands as well.

Urban breed said:
Cool that all the band sings the harmony. Five voices should definitely cover most of the harmonies pretty well.
I think using a hard disk is cheating. It's always fun to see a musician straining to hit those high notes. >:p~

Bryant

WIntersReflection said:
What is an HDD, is it related to a Karaoke machine only instead of music it plays voices?
I think he is talking about a disc drive. You can midi sequence stuff (keyboards etc. even lighting but too much of that technical mumbo jumbo takes away from the live performance.
Some of it is a necessary evil like drum triggers because sometimes drums are hard to mic, and every self respecting guitarist has tp be able to make spaceship noises as if there was ever a time one would need spaceship noises on stage.:err:

Bryant

Spaceship noises huh, perhaps they want to have a performance that is out of this world? ;]

Bryant said:
I think he is talking about a disc drive. You can midi sequence stuff (keyboards etc. even lighting but too much of that technical mumbo jumbo takes away from the live performance.
Some of it is a necessary evil like drum triggers because sometimes drums are hard to mic, and every self respecting guitarist has tp be able to make spaceship noises as if there was ever a time one would need spaceship noises on stage.:err:

Bryant

WIntersReflection said:
Spaceship noises huh, perhaps they want to have a performance that is out of this world? ;]

Ha ha ha I was talking about effects though I wasn't very clear on thast. I have to have a zillion at my disposal though I only use three or four and subtely at that, but without all those little lights and pedals, I would feel naked. I am pretty heavy on the chorus on te clean stuff though.

bryant

Lol, well who doesn't like to have lots of optional effects?
biggthumpup.gif

Bryant said:
Ha ha ha I was talking about effects though I wasn't very clear on thast. I have to have a zillion at my disposal though I only use three or four and subtely at that, but without all those little lights and pedals, I would feel naked. I am pretty heavy on the chorus on te clean stuff though.

bryant