Used Bookstores in/near Atlanta??

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Any of you locals have suggestions? I have zero interest in shops that primarily deal in new stuff and paperbacks. I want the out of print, rare, and eclectic hardcover type shops (all genres). The two that I have visited recently and had great success are Atlanta Vintage Books on Clairmont and Books Again in Decatur.

Thanks for any tips.

The Book Worm in Fayetteville (off old-85) is pretty good. I go there from time to time. Hard to find a lot of stuff due to how its organized, but if you know what you are looking for the guy who owns it can usually find it. I think he also takes trade-ins. We also have Omega Books which has a bit of older stuff.

Anything you are interested in specifically? I can check and see what they have next time I'm at them.

Thanks for the help. I'm not after one single book if that's what you are referring to. I love being able to simply browse and find that odd gem. However, leather bound books (Franklin Library, Eastman Press, etc) and older exploration books are my primary interest these days.

The Book Nook is still a decent used-book shop. It's at Clairmont and, umm, North Druid Hills I think. (Just north of Clairmont on the cross-street, anyway. :))

Since you're not too far from Chattanooga up there, I'll also recommend McKay's in Chattanooga. It's bigger and better than any used bookstore I've ever seen in the Atlanta metro, and they carry lots of CDs and DVDs also.

The Book Nook is still a decent used-book shop. It's at Clairmont and, umm, North Druid Hills I think. (Just north of Clairmont on the cross-street, anyway. :))

Since you're not too far from Chattanooga up there, I'll also recommend McKay's in Chattanooga. It's bigger and better than any used bookstore I've ever seen in the Atlanta metro, and they carry lots of CDs and DVDs also.

Good store. There is also a Book Nook II on Hwy 29 in Lilburn just below Lawrenceville.
I think there is one on Roswell Rd in Marietta also, but haven't been there in a long time. It's possible it's closed.

Been going to McKay's for 10+ years. Despite being the largest used bookstore I have ever seen, it is not remotely what I am after. I prefer more of the older, collectible type hardcovers as opposed to the mass market type books they move in/out at a high frequency. Anything they have that falls in the what I'm after tends to be in uber-shitty condition.

I'm not sure if the places I mentioned will have what you are interested in then. Maybe a rarity, but The Book Worm has few hardcovers, mostly paperbacks, and I can't recall any leather bound stuff. And honestly, the stuff isn't kept in good condition there. But I'll check again as usually I'm there just looking for old fantasy/sci-fi stuff.

Do you ever go here? -http://www.atlantavintagebooks.com/

Atlanta Vintage Books
3660 Clairmont Road
Chamblee, GA 30341

Good store. There is also a Book Nook II on Hwy 29 in Lilburn just below Lawrenceville.
I think there is one on Roswell Rd in Marietta also, but haven't been there in a long time. It's possible it's closed.

I think it's still open. It is/was on Roswell Rd. in Marietta, roughly across the street from Sidelines/The Local.

--Mike

Aha, Glenn, I see.

Hmm, I wish I knew where Grover -- the antiquarian book dealer whose old books (hardbacks) used to occupy the back of Oxford Too at Peachtree Battle -- eventually took all of his stock. For a while some of his books were available at the relocated SF & Mystery Bookshop after it moved to Shallowford Rd., but when the store closed for good, I don't know what became of them. A shame; I bought many a rarity there, and I still have them all.

I was always on the prowl there for a first-edition copy of Larry Niven's Ringworld. Since the author made an egregious error in the first chapter (and the cover art was completely wrong), it's worth a fortune nowadays. :lol:

Is PaperChase still around? It used to be next to the Book Nook when they were over on the corner of Clairmont Rd. and Buford Hwy. I don't remember what kind of selection they had, but I know you could get some interesting stuff there.

--Mike

If you want to make a trip up to Blue Ridge, I like E. Quinn, Bookseller. It is a combination antiquarian bookstore and wineshop. He specializes in antiquarian hardbacks and leatherbound books.

Also, check out the Georgia Antiquarian Book Association -- here is a member list: http://www.gaba.net/Directory.html. Many shops in the Atlanta area.

Is PaperChase still around? It used to be next to the Book Nook when they were over on the corner of Clairmont Rd. and Buford Hwy. I don't remember what kind of selection they had, but I know you could get some interesting stuff there.

--Mike

I'm almost certain they're gone, now...or at least, not in that building anymore. Heck, Windfaire -- the, err, tobacconists shop -- has been gone from there for several years.

If you want to make a trip up to Blue Ridge, I like E. Quinn, Bookseller. It is a combination antiquarian bookstore and wineshop. He specializes in antiquarian hardbacks and leatherbound books.

Also, check out the Georgia Antiquarian Book Association -- here is a member list: http://www.gaba.net/Directory.html. Many shops in the Atlanta area.

Aha. This is good intel.

Blue Ridge is on my way up to Blue Hole for my biweekly summer pilgrimages, so an antiquarian booksellers' there sounds like a good stopover.

Aha, Glenn, I see.

Hmm, I wish I knew where Grover -- the antiquarian book dealer whose old books (hardbacks) used to occupy the back of Oxford Too at Peachtree Battle -- eventually took all of his stock. For a while some of his books were available at the relocated SF & Mystery Bookshop after it moved to Shallowford Rd., but when the store closed for good, I don't know what became of them. A shame; I bought many a rarity there, and I still have them all.

I was always on the prowl there for a first-edition copy of Larry Niven's Ringworld. Since the author made an egregious error in the first chapter (and the cover art was completely wrong), it's worth a fortune nowadays. :lol:

I think some of his stuff might have found a home in the backroom/collectible room at Eagle Eye Books in Decatur. I admired some of the stuff he had at SF & Mystery Bookshop, too, but always felt he was a little more proud of his collection than the market was. In other words...overpriced.

:Smokin:

I think some of his stuff might have found a home in the backroom/collectible room at Eagle Eye Books in Decatur.

Interesting, thanks!

I admired some of the stuff he had at SF & Mystery Bookshop, too, but always felt he was a little more proud of his collection than the market was. In other words...overpriced.

Well, that's kinda to be expected, since he always had to make a buck -- I'm assuming he had to pay a bit for 'rent' at either Oxford Too or SF&M.
You're always better off finding a rare book from the original owner rather than through a dealer or a broker...but the trick is finding it. (eBay and other sources make it easier nowadays, though....)