Users of bittorrent

Oct 7, 2006
have you ever tried to download a 4.3gb file? if so, did you complete the download? , tell me your experience. please.
thanks bye

I have and wasn't successfull cuz I used a slow torrentclient, here's some advice for large files:

1. use a decent client, preferably azureus or bitlord
2. see that the file has enough trackers cuz it runs slow
3. see that with the client you're using, you can change the tracker (azureus can)
4. Download it at once and don't start downloading mutiple times cuz that would increase the chance of failing the download
5. see that your download limit set by your provided can still handle the file
6. get as much downloading speed as possible, meaning shut down all other applications using bandwith
7. try to use very little processor speed with other application, this will increase the download speed also.

Dunno if utorrent counts as a decent torrent client. anyway everything is good so far it says it needs ~2 days to complete the download. not so bad. and the availability is 15...

Do use other networks beside bittorrent ?

utorrent is ok, had that a while but azureus > all

2 days? omg :zombie: that's quite a slow speed

I use nothing else but bittorrent

uTorrent kills both Azureus and BitLord(honestly why anyone would suggest BitLord as a "Good" client is beyond me :( Unless they have made major changes). uTorrent has a relatively low memory foot print and uses next to nothing in terms of processing power. Azureus is bloated mostly due to its usage of Java.

The client rarely has anything to do with slow download speeds unless it intentionally ignores peers or seeds. If a torrent is downloading slow it is probably due to a imbalance in the ratio of leeches to seeds as well as people capping their uploads at low speeds.

Other things to keep an eye on is your upload rate. If you have a 40 kb/s upload rate then cap your max upload at 25-30kb/s to ensure that you're not slowing your downloads down. If you're uploading at your maximum upload speed it slows down everything from downloads to even your web browsing or something as simple as chat programs.

Check and make sure your ports are forwarded, this often only effects uploading issues but it can also hinder your downloads sometimes.

Check and see how high your maximum number of connections is limited to. If you do use Azureus or uTorrent enable connection Encryption because some ISPs tend to throttle BitTorrent protocol traffic.

I have downloaded files in excess of 10 gigs in size and never had any problems getting them in a timely fashion. The problem with Bit Torrent is its primary means of distribution is its users. If a torrent only has 3 seeds and 20 peers chances are you're going to be receiving relatively slow download speeds until more peers become seeds and start uploading at their full potential.

edit: Almost forgot if you're using a public tracker enable DHT, it is generally helpful in finding other clients tracking the same download you're grabbing. Some sites disallow and will not work with DHT though.

uTorrent kills both Azureus and BitLord(honestly why anyone would suggest BitLord as a "Good" client is beyond me :( Unless they have made major changes). uTorrent has a relatively low memory foot print and uses next to nothing in terms of processing power. Azureus is bloated mostly due to its usage of Java.

low usage of memory is basicly the only thing utorrent is good for, Bitlord and specificly azureus get the highest speeds altough I have to admit they do use more RAM. With azureus it just depends on what other applications you have that use java and what kind of java package you have installed

utorrent is ok, had that a while but azureus > all

2 days? omg :zombie: that's quite a slow speed

I use nothing else but bittorrent

it was finished 3 days ago along with another dvd.. the problom is not from my dl speed..:|

I also use ed2k network with an Emule client.

Russians make life easier :lol: I can't beleive what i just saw..Do I need to postforword ports too?

also I was thinking, now rapidshare servers are going to suffer from high traffic usage if the site really works...so eventually their services are not going like what they were when the first started..

also they always update their security, so I guess no hack will last forever..

I used to use (Befor I knew how to postforword) rapidscare , rapidsnare, rapidshake ..(Do you know them?) But I guess they are down now..anyway.

here's a major hint when you have reached your rapidshare limit:
if you have dial-up: simply disconnect the connection, wait a few seconds, then reconnect. New ip = no more limit again

if you have a constant connection: pull the internet cable, then reconnect and you have a new ip again ;)

I don't care about rapidshare or other similar websites..Bittorrent and ed2k are far more superior and easier to use.

Also the way you mentioned above to ignore RS dl limit does not work.I have ADSL.
And I tried it but it fails.

I just recently finished downloading 2 dvds one is for COB 2006 and the other is Monsters Of Metal Vol 2.

Can you recommend me some decent downloads?

azureus makes computer slow... especially if you use an old one. But with a recent comp, it wors great. We used to have it one one of the computers here, unill the day it misterously started to crash as soon as you try to open it. Deinstall and reinstall didnt change anything, there was no way to get the program to work again. Now we have utorrent, but the problem with this one is that after a while, the internet gets very slow, and then doesnt work at all. You have to stop downloading and uploading... It never happened with Azureus (i mean, the internet was slow, but it still displayed websites. With utorrent, its like your browser just died).

on my old pc with windows 98 and RAM 256 mb, it was awfull. Azureus, msn and an internet browser running at the same time meant computer restarts by itself :p. now on the new one, it runs.