Using a DIY contact mic to trigger.

wretchedspawn

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2007
I was thinking I could grab a piezo transducer out of a calculator(first thing that comes to mind that would have one) and make a cheap contact mic by connecting it to a 1/4" plug. Then, I attach this to the kick pedal, behind the foam of the beater so it isn't smashing directly against the batter head. I could route the 1/4" to my DAW and use whatever program to trigger away.

Your thoughts on this?

Having a 1/4" cable flinging around every time you use the kick pedal could be a pain in the ass, it would mess with the feel of the pedal... The best triggering solution currently out there are the Axis E-Kits, but they only work with Axis pedals...

A couple of zip ties to fasten the cables to the beater "shafts" seems to solve that problem. There was only a very tiny change in the feel. Not enough to really make a difference for me. These things are very sensitive. I know it's not the best solution to triggering but I'm trying to work with what I have at the moment.(ie. I am poor.) It only takes about 5-10 minutes per beater as well.

why not on the other side of the beater actually on the drum? kick drums usually have a beater pad in the middle, attach the piezo to the oposite side of the skin behind the pad.
Then you have to run the wires out in a way that doesn't touch the skins.

why not on the other side of the beater actually on the drum? kick drums usually have a beater pad in the middle, attach the piezo to the oposite side of the skin behind the pad.
Then you have to run the wires out in a way that doesn't touch the skins.

That's what I was thinking.

you can buy piezo tranducers from radio shack (if you're in the US) for like 2 dollars a piece. that's how i recorded the drums for my bands demo.