Using an analyzer while setting up amp/mics?

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Has anyone ever tossed on an analyzer in their DAW while prepping your amp/mics for recording?

I was thinking that this might be a good way to position mics and all that, specifically if your computer is in the same room as your amp.

I suppose you would need to know what a 'good' spectrum should look like.

Yeah that's my problem, I have horrible headphones. I get what sounds like an amazing tone in the phones, but after i lay down some tracks and replay them, they sound nothing like what the cans gave me....

And I'm poor now so good headphones are a no go.

Find a little segment of a "soloed" guitar riff in a mix you like, and loop it right behind a little segment of a DI track playing something similar. That way when you're down in front of the cab messing with the mic, you have an idea of how a good tone sounds through your crappy cans, and thus how to adjust your mic accordingly.

Find a little segment of a "soloed" guitar riff in a mix you like, and loop it right behind a little segment of a DI track playing something similar. That way when you're down in front of the cab messing with the mic, you have an idea of how a good tone sounds through your crappy cans, and thus how to adjust your mic accordingly.

LoL go figure I don't even think of something as simple as that.

Thanks for the tip Aaron.