Micing drums with just 2/3 mics?

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
I need to do a video shoot for different drumkits. I prefer using just 2 mics because during the whole day I will be recording up to 20 kits. It will be a video presentation of the product with a demonstration of the drumkit.

The room we're recording in is big, very big. Since I have so much kits during that day I prefer just using 2/3 mics which can (almost) stay in position. It's important I get a good interpretation of the kit that's being demonstrated.

I have a 2 camera setup and I wish to feed those camera's from a mixing desk.
Anyone who has experience with a situation like this?

In this situation I would go for a stereo overhead x/y and a kick mic. Experiment with the kick mic distance, as you may like it a few feet out with some spill, or in closer.

Going with a spaced pair would necessitate three mic stands and be a bit more difficult to set up for each kit. The x/y could be put on a stereo bar and measured more easily so that you're always recording from the same point. That way things will stay more consistent. It will also be out of the way a bit more if you're moving drums in and out from under the mics. Mark on the floor where the edge of your kick is, and where the center of the snare should be. With a large stand holding a stereo x/y (or ortf, blumlein or similar) setup you can just leave it there, and if you end up with a kick mic a few feet out from the kick, everything may just be able to stay as is. Plug in a new kit, quick measurement, and you have a consistent sound.