Using PA to record drums - Bad idea?

insideac

Mar 3, 2008
Hey guys, currently I am using a line 6 toneport UX2 as my recording interface, which means I only have 2 mic inputs, so I don't have enough to properly record my drummer. We have a PA system that has 6 inputs; would I be able to run 2-3 mics into the PA system, and then from the output run it into the input of the Line 6, so that I would essentially increase my inputs?

Thanks!

yea thats how i essentially recorded drums for awhile when i just had an mbox. its better then nothing i suppose. You have to immediately get a decent mix of the drums since you obviously cant change any levels later. Sometimes it sounded decent, sometimes it didnt. good luck!

Haha, this is how I used to make demos for my band back before I had a proper DAW. RCA to 1/8" cables into my soundcard into Acid.

I'd hesitate to say you will end up with a product that would be anywhere above demo level (IMHO) if the music is metal, though.

Will work ok for rough demo's but not alot else to be honest. Make sure to get your drum mix set up with reference to your guitar and bass as you obviously cant change much of anything later on.

I dunno. I wonder if I was in that situation if I would just record cymbals and program the drums to be honest. Manually replacing hits from a whole kit mix is gonna be a pain in the balls.

id say just use programmed drums and toy with it to give it a natural feel. youll get a lot better sound out of it

I'd also suggest programming the drums, but maybe use the interface's two inputs for overhead mics and record the cymbals.

You could use the PA to mic the drums and do a rough track so that you have something to listen to while programming.

Well, he triggers his bass drum, so I really just need to mic the overheads, tom, and snare no? There is no way I can record it and get it to sound semi-good? Because even though I can get better results, his playing is extremely complex and the band gets pissed whenever I mentioned programmed drums

You can get it to sound OK at best, but if the playing is really that complex, then summing everything through a PA isn't going to do it any justice. In a metal mix, I don't see raw drums recorded to a stereo track working too well.

I never understand why bands get pissed about things like this. If you were in the situation where you had the correct means to record a full kit, sure go for it. But considering that's obviously not the case, why go for sub-par results just to be "troo" or some bs. He's already cheating and triggering the kick, why not "trigger" the snare, and toms too in midi and make him sound like a god behind the kit?

In the end, it depends on what amount of quality you want to achieve. If you want something good enough to sell to potential fans, check the egos and preconceptions at the door and do what needs to be done to get the best results possible.

I'd say go for a dirty retro production and it will work! Just make sure the overhead placement is perfect. And your drummer must play really good of course

Can you receive (and send) MIDI data through the Toneport (I know nothing about them)?

If so, use the 2 mic inputs for OH's, but a set of those cheap DrumDial triggers Andy's been talking about, trigger the kit into his module, send the data out via MIDI, replace with samples in your DAW...or just use the stock samples in his drum module using MIDI (not by recording the stereo out of the module) if you don't have any drum replacement software (although I think you can find stuff for free these days).