Using Paypal functions to sell band merch

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
How do?

I see plenty of pages online where a band sells thier merch using paypal buttons/dropdown menus for selection. How does someone set this up, what does paypal really require you to do for it (fees, etc) and why the fuck am I just not getting it? lol

You just open an account, set up the name of your product and the price, and it will create buttons for you (including the HTML code) that you just drop on your page, it directs the user to make a payment of XXX to your paypal account. Paypal does keep a certain % per transaction.

(from the site)
Fees for receiving purchase payments
Fees to receive payments for purchases of goods and services vary depending on monthly sales volume.

Purchase payments received (monthly) Fee per transaction
$0.00 USD - $3,000.00 USD 2.9% + $0.30 USD
$3,000.01 USD - $10,000.00 USD 2.5% + $0.30 USD
$10,000.01 USD - $100,000.00 USD 2.2% + $0.30 USD
> $100,000.00 USD 1.9% + $0.30 USD

I see plenty of pages online where a band sells thier merch using paypal buttons/dropdown menus for selection. How does someone set this up

It's an option you select when you create the new merchandise item. It's a checkbox, if I remember, after which you can set the options for the pulldown menu.

You can also use www.bandcamp.com to sell your MP3's, it will handle all PayPal processes for you and deposit your cut of the sales to your PayPal account.

All I did was register as a business with PayPal, didn't have to do anything special, just selected "business" :lol:

If you're not planning to sell a lot, paypal might be fine but be aware that there are limitations.
They can ask for personal informations such as social security number and block your account (and money) until you provided what they want, it can takes a couple of month before they react and unlock your money.
You can find many discutions about it there : http://www.modeeworld.com/forums/paypal-limitations/