use paypal to accept deposits

whoispetty

May 30, 2008
i did a search and didn't come across anything too similar to this.

does anyone use paypal to accept deposits for studio time?
and if so, is there any way to avoid those nasty fees?

I've used it in the past with some online mixing sessions I've done, but of course I was hit with some charges.

From what I understand, if they send it as a "gift" or as a "payment due" or something like that, the fees are waived. However, I don't know if that fits in with the paypal rules and reg.

I'm hoping to get something setup to where I can accept deposits for studio time all online, and that way I lower the chance of a no-show for meetings and/or first session. And yes I do require a deposit up front, but not being able to use credit cards is a pain.

thanks for the input

I like the idea of using PayPal for deposits, especially for mixing jobs for foreign clients, but something has always told me not to. I'm sticking with bank transfer invoices for now, but I'm open for alternatives. By the way, those of you who use PayPal for this (and pay taxes), what kind of invoices do you give out?

I use PayPal for everything. The fees aren't that bad. I use it to get deposits and even payments for projects all the time here.

The invoices I give to them are just whatever invoice utility PayPal has there, you input the information and it "creates" an invoice for you and sends it to the client's e-mail.

Use it all the time also. I frequently pay others for their services using PayPal as well. It's just a convenient way to work internationally. To me it's more reliable than having my bank do an international transfer where it's subject to mysteriously lose the money, and charge me its own fees.

For local clients it's mostly direct bank deposit.

I've just started using paypal for selling some of my excess gear... It's been working out awesome!! Someone says "yes I want that"... I shoot out an email invoice... they pay... I ship. The whole process takes less than 20 minutes.

If I had this when I was charging bands for recording time it would have been a huge time saver... + I always feel bad when broke musicians are handing me cash :p