Using pod farm and ux1 - tone lacking high frequencies. Thoughts on converter/preamp?

SethTheGreat

Feb 22, 2010
Gainesville, TX
It's no secret that u can get some incredible recordings using pod farm (and other amp sims)... In fact, last night I read through through some threads On people using soloc, 7170, and IR's and some of guitar recordings were INCREDIBLE.

I'm not new to recording audio, but I'm pretty new to amp modelling.

I can't seem to get high freqs to come through in my tracks. I'm not getting anything above 6-8 kHz and my tracks are coming out very dull.

Any tips? I'm running the ux1 output into my motu 828

I've been thinking possibly my problem is my lower-end converter (828) or preamp (also, built in 828).

I've searched and searched and it doesn't seem like the folks getting these great tones are using anything better than what I've got.

The higher, the more nasal sound you get so be careful . If you want a brighter sound, turn up the presence and treble on the ampsim. A real amp produce very little above 5khz as you probably know. But thats not the case with ampsims. My experience is that ampsims produce a too bright (and harsch)sound that need to be EQ. And at about 2.8-3khz a little too. As same as with a hardware amp, make sure the sound is right before you record. An EQ is not a magic tool that can produce wonder. Never forget the axiom shit in=shit out. The less you need to EQ after recording the better. There are great guitarsounds that are not EQ:d at all. Well except for some highpass filtering out the bass. And it take time to learn use ampsims and get that killersound youre after. And get better cabs than the one you have in the UX1. I used to own a UX2 that I sold a couple of years ago. Those cabs sound dull and plastic. Take a look at http://recabi.net/site/ cabimpulses. They are great and cheap too. You can never get a killersound with bad ampsim cabs. And if something I wrote seems strnange or unclear, its because its 3:am here and my eyes are blurry and I should have gone to bed along time ago. Anyway I hope you got a satisfying answer.

The higher, the more nasal sound you get so be careful . If you want a brighter sound, turn up the presence and treble on the ampsim. A real amp produce very little above 5khz as you probably know. But thats not the case with ampsims. My experience is that ampsims produce a too bright (and harsch)sound that need to be EQ. And at about 2.8-3khz a little too. As same as with a hardware amp, make sure the sound is right before you record. An EQ is not a magic tool that can produce wonder. Never forget the axiom shit in=shit out. The less you need to EQ after recording the better. There are great guitarsounds that are not EQ:d at all. Well except for some highpass filtering out the bass. And it take time to learn use ampsims and get that killersound youre after. And get better cabs than the one you have in the UX1. I used to own a UX2 that I sold a couple of years ago. Those cabs sound dull and plastic. Take a look at http://recabi.net/site/ cabimpulses. They are great and cheap too. You can never get a killersound with bad ampsim cabs. And if something I wrote seems strnange or unclear, its because its 3:am here and my eyes are blurry and I should have gone to bed along time ago. Anyway I hope you got a satisfying answer.

Guitars definitely produce above 5k. Highpass your guitar tracks at 5k and see if you like the results.

OP: I don't think the problem is your pre's/converter.. I have the 828mkii and I don't have any problems like that with my guitar tracks, I can't imagine them being horribly different.

Alot of guys have better results using the catharsis impulses than the stock podfarm ones, and I think the general consensus I've read on here has been that using a nice DI is better than using the UX1 as a DI. Also, what kind of pickups in your guitar? I would try the new impulses first, if that doesn't do the trick pick up a nice DI and use the pre's on the MOTU.

Thanks for the tips! I will try messing with impulses tomorrow, I haven't tried any yet. If I do get a nicer pre and converter anyways would I still want to get a DI box? Is a DI what most of the guys on this forum use? Am I just using the UX1 as a dongle at that point?

And if something I wrote seems strnange or unclear, its because its 3:am here and my eyes are blurry and I should have gone to bed along time ago.

It all made sense haha...

btw I just stumbled upon this forum while looking for info on impulses and amp sims and so far I LOVE IT. Tons of useful information and you guys know what you're talking about. I also like that people are willing to share their experiences and opinions here more-so than many other audio forums where every thread is filled with "depends on what you're going for" and "there is no right answer" type stuff. That stuff is only true to an extent (i.e. a crate solid state stack mic'd w a walmart mic will not sound good).

I expect to become a long standing member.

... using UX1 with metalpack too. the threadplate (recto) sim with mesa cabsim should sound fine. Try to cut some (lower mids) e.g 300, 400 or 500 Hz and boost a bit of 6-7 kHz. Sometimes you have to dip about 3-4 kHz against harshness.

- GMo -

... and I think the general consensus I've read on here has been that using a nice DI is better than using the UX1 as a DI.

Talking about that... I started to think about buying a good DI box, to have the ability to reamp and stuff... And basically yes, because I'm not really quite satisfied by the sound of "standard" Ux1 Instr.

But the question is: how do I use a DI box with a interface like the UX1, that has only "Instr" input and "line" input? The question bothers me, like "ok, if I send guitar output through DI box, and it will sound decent, and than again into the "instr" input of UX1, will the signal gain real benefits?" Or it doesn't matter? Or it will degrade?

¯\(°_o)/¯

Talking about that... I started to think about buying a good DI box, to have the ability to reamp and stuff... And basically yes, because I'm not really quite satisfied by the sound of "standard" Ux1 Instr.

But the question is: how do I use a DI box with a interface like the UX1, that has only "Instr" input and "line" input? The question bothers me, like "ok, if I send guitar output through DI box, and it will sound decent, and than again into the "instr" input of UX1, will the signal gain real benefits?" Or it doesn't matter? Or it will degrade?

¯(°_o)/¯

I don't really know what to tell you because I don't personally own a UX1, but instead of using the line input you will be using the preamp, so I would imagine there would indeed be a difference, but then again if the preamp in the UX1 is junk, you could be right. A good DI will benefit you in the long run because you will eventually need one.

Thanks for the tips! I will try messing with impulses tomorrow, I haven't tried any yet. If I do get a nicer pre and converter anyways would I still want to get a DI box? Is a DI what most of the guys on this forum use? Am I just using the UX1 as a dongle at that point?

You need to make sure you bypass the cab in Podfarm and use an external impulse loader (unless you can load external impulses in Podfarm?). It depends on what you get.

It depends on what you get--many people have gotten great results plugging in to the instrument input on their interface. I've read great things about the Presonus Audiobox, which you can plug right into without a DI, but as I said above, you will eventually want to get a direct box. I have a Radial J48, but I only use it on bass because I mic real amps, but I always take a guitar DI just in case I want to reamp later.

So yeah, you would pretty much be using the UX1 as a dongle to use Podfarm.

Guitars definitely produce above 5k. Highpass your guitar tracks at 5k and see if you like the results.

I think he's just referring to the fact that the frequency response of most guitar speakers (including the Vintage 30 and G12H30, among others) is generally only rated up to 5kHz, at which point there's generally a pretty steep rolloff.

pod is usually way too harsh and bright in the hands of a n00b.

plug your guitar straight into the instrument in on the 828 (unless it doesn't have one...get a DI box). Get the DI clipping around -4 / -3db, and use podfarm. the toneport is just a dongle.

at this point, it's gotta just be your ear. post mixes in the rate my tone/mix thread and we'll troubleshoot from there.

Alright, I got a Radial ProDI and I got an EMG-HZ to replace my stock Gibson pickup. I'll try tracking again, see how it goes, post it in "rate my mix."

Oh and about the EMG-HZ... I did a lot of searching on this forum about pickups and it seems like everybody likes the 81's/85's. I A/B'd a bunch of pickups and the 81 did sound better than like everything else, except the HZ. The HZ's upper mids are much smoother to mein ears.