Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
(V.E.G.A.) – Cocaine
B.M. Records- 2003
By Russell Garwood

At last, the long postponed debut album of (V.E.G.A.) gets to see the light of day – small Italian label B.M. Records is to release 333 copies on vinyl. "Cocaine - A Sick Mind's Hologram", the band’s first demo, was a combination of caustic black metal and powerful dark ambient, while "Cocaine" sees this sound refined to BM with occasional samples. At recording the line up stood as Steph (vox, synths and guitar), drummer and vocalist Janos (also of Lunaris), and Kekoz (bass). The ten complex songs on "Cocaine" utilise progressive structures, Janos’ frenetic, skilled drumming and thick blankets of distorted guitar lines, while vocals vary between layered screaming and speech. Sampled sections and slower passages fragment the otherwise relentless songs, which - despite their ferocity - hold your attention throughout. Final track "Vacuum Era Gelid Atmosphere" finishes the album with style, by reverting to the ambient of old, and creating more diversity in this already multi-faceted album. Hidden track "Cocaine", from "A Sick Mind's Hologram" is also a very welcome addition, being some of the best dark ambient you’re likely to hear in a while.

Overall, "Cocaine" is a very impressive black metal album, which I’m very pleased is to be released. A must for all fans of extreme and progressive/complex black metal, it seems likely the 333 copies will soon be sold out, and I eagerly await any new work from Steph and company, metal or otherwise.

Hi everybody...it's Steph from (V.E.G.A.) writing...i'll just say this: i don't give a shit about music business..to me art and money shouldn't be bouded by any link...i've quit buying cds cause their price is simply too much and i started downloading mp3s for free from internet..music should be something purchasable from everybody and i begin now my battle against the state of things in music business...this is why i've decided to let my music be downloadable for free from internet from p2p networks such as winmx or soulseek...if anybody is interested into (V.E.G.A.)'s music they could download it's albums for free on the above mentioned p2ps...FUCK the music business and enjoy art for what it is!