Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
(V.E.G.A.) – Cocaine
Self released – Demo 2002
By Russell Garwood

(V.E.G.A.)’s latest promo, “Cocaine” features three re-recorded and re-mastered songs from their truly original debut of the same title. Founded by Dheli (vox, synths and guitar) and drummer Janos (who has since joined Lunaris), (V.E.G.A.) was completed by bassist Kekohtz.

The original “Cocaine” was a fusion of scathing black metal and dark ambient elements, while “Cocaine” 2 is pure, complex black metal. The music fully utilises Janos’ proficiency with complicated and extreme drumbeats, while multiple (three plus) guitar lines and contrasting dynamics give the songs character. Slower phrases fragment the writhing, blast-ridden fury, while the vox range from harsh screams to speech. “Insex Infect” is a progressive, ferocious yet melodic piece which negotiates its way through a labyrinth of twists, while “Burning In My Own Dream Of Life” begins in a far more reflective mood. It soon transforms into another angry meandering slab of complex extremity, and the promo finishes with “Perspectives” whose wailing discords and savage vox serve as an apt conclusion.

This trio of songs proves (V.E.G.A.) can write music just as interesting and engaging without electronic elements as they can with, and while one of my favourite aspects of their sound was the contrast between two disparate styles they’ve pulled off this release of solid barbarity with style. Despite its savagery “Cocaine” 2 holds your attention well and is not overpowering in spite of it’s more limited sound. The recording is also much better than the debut, and I eagerly await the full album - (V.E.G.A.) are a band going places.

You can read a review of “Cocaine” 1 here.