Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
(V.E.G.A.) – Cocaine
Demo – Self Released 2002
By Russell Garwood

Formed in 2000, in Turin, (V.E.G.A.) {otherwise known as (Vacuum Era Gelid Atmosphere)} have impressive plans which, judging by this demo, they could all too easily fulfil. Dheli is responsible for the songwriting, guitars, vocals and synthesizers, Janos (also of Elitist’s Lunaris) contributes with drums, vox and synths, and the line up is completed by Croman on bass and backing vocals. Heavily Ulver-influenced, the band intend to change genre with each release - their next album is to focus on the black metal elements present in “Cocaine”, the following “film-based ambient-trip-hop” and then a “trance-industrial terrorist attack”. Their debut provides a mid-ground, resting between powerful ambient/illbient and true black metal. This demo was recorded largely at home so the production is not wonderful – but easily good enough for the black metal sections (compared to that of Darkthrone et al), and the electronic sections sound clearer.

The guitars in the metal sections are slightly tinny but have enough melody to make the songs sound individual, and the triggered, well-played drums fit in well with both elements of the music. The bass is inconspicuous, and the witch vocals hard to hear, while whispered vox are more perceptible. The keyboards are at the forefront of the sound; some of the more electronic songs have over three synth layers, each playing something different and demanding attention. Such songs are very complex but build up layer by layer before breaking down the sound again, so you don’t miss an instrument or key-change. One of the best things about “Cocaine”, however, is that the band have two distinct sounds and manage to combine them. Samples are also used sporadically to good effect.

For the first four minutes, title track “Cocaine” has some of the most promising dance I have heard in a long time. It is catchy, dark and complex ambient which embraces definite rhythms and thick textures before the track ends with a metal section. The following track is another favourite; “Kill Me” successfully mixes ambient elements with metal – quite an achievement. “Fish, Smoke & Satan” is another dance epic, while “Ocean Woods”, track ten, builds up gradually over seven minutes to a subtle, memorable electronic song. “Pulse Blood Pulse” is another excellent ambient effort, and “Mirianne”, one of the heaviest songs on the album, still manages to be melodic.

With “Cocaine” (V.E.G.A.) show great promise which could easily be fulfilled given studio time. Perhaps my only misgiving about this demo is that at fourteen tracks it can begin to merge into one and you forget the best moments in each song – listening the full way through requires much attention. Otherwise this is an original, impressive debut and I look forward with much anticipation to further work, especially the “film-based ambient-trip-hop” release