"V" one big song?

In essence, SyX's "V" is the definition of the term "concept song" IMO, just as "The Odyssey" is the definition of the term "concept song".

I agree that there is something about V that just grows on you, especially when you wax philosophical (or maybe if you just drank too many cups of Irish coffee lol). The concept that comes to mind is that of "unity in diversity". Sure, "Fallen" and "Communion & the Oracle" are like apples and oranges, but the way that they complement each other speaks of utter homogeneity.

ok, I'll lay off the Irish coffee..for now. hahahaha..

Well, that would make sense considering V is a concept album.

I also think it's true in the sense that they actually flow together. I find V to be a great late-night driving album. It keeps you awake and it passes the time quite nicely.

I just wondered cause people always saying DT are so awful, they made a song which is 42 minutes long....
Well so Symphony X made a song longer than 1 hour...

V is a conceptiual album, and each song is suppose to flow into one another... If you listen to it through and do pay much attention you realize it can be treated as one song... but is actually not! Its more of one big story, and each song is a chapter of the book ;)

Whenever people ask me what my favorite song is, I always say "The entire album of V" by Symphony X. The only time I ever think about it as an entire album is when I'm jamming to it when Im bored or when I want to show somebody an awesome part of a track.

ERRATUM: I indicated, implicitly maybe, that the other songs in V don't complement each other (re: my example). I stand corrected now. :D

sorta off-topic, but my sister actually wrote a sort of fan fiction with V as part of the plot.

I wouldn't mind reading it. I love anything to do with V.
I'm trying to compell myself to start analyzing, in great detail, many concept albums, V being the 1st.

This may be correct, because while my favourite METAL album is V, my favourite songs are mostly from TDWOT. When i insert the cd, i listen the whole of V nearly every time, i feel sth is missing if not :)

wchuck said:
I just wondered cause people always saying DT are so awful, they made a song which is 42 minutes long....
Well so Symphony X made a song longer than 1 hour...

Going by your logic, DT have made a song that is 77 mins long. Oh, and it came out 1 year before V. (Metrop.2:Scenes)

V's songs definitely compliment each other. Re-occuring melodies, and the same dark feeling throughout the entire album. Best album ever written, as far as I'm concerned. :worship:

The entire logic is that it's one song, because they al run into one another so perfectly, that the end of each song is more like a bridge part than an outro. Scenes doesn't have that nearly as much. The way you're saying it is like all concept albums work the same way, when they really don't.

ptah knemu said:
The entire logic is that it's one song, because they al run into one another so perfectly, that the end of each song is more like a bridge part than an outro. Scenes doesn't have that nearly as much. The way you're saying it is like all concept albums work the same way, when they really don't.

I'd say both albums do it equally. I actually find it harder to tell when a song switches in Scenes than V.