Valvestate 8100's

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
I just got a peavey rockmaster off a band from my area and when I went to pick it up they showed me a valvestate 8100 head and 2 matching cabs they're looking to get rid of.

These any good? I understand that chuck from Death used to use 'em? Any opinions of 'em here. I'm tempted to buy it, sell the cabs on and have it for a re amping option if its any good. If it's kinda crap I'll probably give it a miss though

They are pretty cool for being a hybrid. They have their use in certain types of music, and they take pedals pretty well. I have one that's been sitting in my closet for years, one day I'll bring it out and use it on something.

I have one of those.. I think it's sounds pretty sterile ..

vendo-cabezal-marshall-valvestate-8100_7955e4f_3.jpg

I like it a lot, in my experience is one of the best, if not the best Solid State (well not completely tubed) amp i ever tried. i personally rather have this than a JCM900

Pretty much the same schematic as the vs combo 8080 Ive got .
I personally like these amps its just the way they distort I suppose rich thick and smooth .
The best results I got were with an EQ pedal in the loop and a compressor in the guitar input. Also they have a superb contour control which sweeps the whole character of the amp from one extreme to the other.
A surprising amount of gain from just one preamp tube and IMO they record as well (if not better) than any all tube head from the same era.
Heavier than the other Marshall's anyway....800 or 900 .
Mines loaded with a single 12" celestion G12 75 , never even crossed my mind to change that .

Yeah, the VS-8100s are WAY better than the MG series by a country mile, there is no comparison really.
Personally I think they are cool amps, far better than that piece of shit AVT that replaced them.

it was my first amp (besides the 15 watt Fenix combo with 8") and I still got it, ok I don't play with it
but that's because I have no cabinet here and just play with ampsims.
But if I play in a band again or something like that I will use it.
Really diggin it with a boost in the front and a EQ in the fx way to get rid of some mud.

well ive always dug the old marshall valvestate series, i have a modified 8080 head (was a combo) and i did this clip, very quickly through a HB 2x12 cab with G12t 75s. I was deffo going for the similar tubey tone of that of zakks on the pride and glory album!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/369408/test.mp3

That clip sounds great dude!

Not as great as Zakk's old Ampeg VL-1002, but still pretty awesome! ;)

it's an okay amp, but nothing spectacular.
death-tsop has a great guitar tone, but then again chuck was a fabulous player.
i remember jacob hansen saying that he likes to blend the 8100 with e.g. rectifiers, to add some tightness to the fat recto tracks....iirc this setup was used for hatesphere's the sickness within.

didn't chimaira used to use these? i used to be in a band with a guy who used to have one of these.. god knows what he did with it..but last time i saw him on guitar, he had a DSL. :(