Valvestate head - line out?

Oak

Apr 27, 2009
Sollentuna, Sweden
I'm trying to figure out how the direct line out with simulated cab works on my Valvestate VS100 head.
When I connect headphones to the headphones jack, the cab is disabled. If i connect the line-out, the cab output is still active (unless head phones are also plugged in).

Should I disconnect the cab from the head and just connect the line-out? Won't that damage the amp someway? (Or is that only true for tube power-amps?)

Also - should the master volume be at full volume to make the line-out signal get a proper level? Seems kind of weird to have to run the power-stage at full volume...

Line Out = Preamp Out... master volume should be irrelevant.

SS power amp = no need for a cab/load.

Why a Line Out and a Headphone out? Pretty obvious, isn't it?

Also - should the master volume be at full volume to make the line-out signal get a proper level? Seems kind of weird to have to run the power-stage at full volume...

Obviously it will be different for this amp, but on my guitarist's Spider 3 :)Puke:), the Line Out clips with the master volume at about 9 o'clock. Fantastic feature that :rolleyes:

Also, the Master Volume affects the Line Out on both his Spider and my head too - so I wouldn't call it a "Preamp" out on either. No idea if that's the case on the Marshall or not.

Anyway, the best advice is start with the volume all the way down, and raise it until it's loads enough. Start it loud and working backwards is an accidental/squealing eardrum waiting to happen.

Steve

Line Out = Preamp Out... master volume should be irrelevant.

SS power amp = no need for a cab/load.

Why a Line Out and a Headphone out? Pretty obvious, isn't it?

No sir, line out = "Emulated line out" on the Valvestate head. Some kind of cab-emulation on it. Preamp Out i guess would be the FX Send output jack.

Obviously it will be different for this amp, but on my guitarist's Spider 3 :)Puke:), the Line Out clips with the master volume at about 9 o'clock. Fantastic feature that :rolleyes:

Also, the Master Volume affects the Line Out on both his Spider and my head too - so I wouldn't call it a "Preamp" out on either. No idea if that's the case on the Marshall or not.

Anyway, the best advice is start with the volume all the way down, and raise it until it's loads enough. Start it loud and working backwards is an accidental/squealing eardrum waiting to happen.

Steve

Yeah, the volume affects the line out... Well okay.. I'll disconnect the cab and see where the master volume needs to be to make it a 'line out' signal.

I guess it's 'good' to hear other amps behave in a similar way :loco:

Thanks

No sir, line out = "Emulated line out" on the Valvestate head. Some kind of cab-emulation on it. Preamp Out i guess would be the FX Send output jack.

Oh, I totally forgot about the speaker emulation on Marshall heads' line out...