6505 MH & H&K Tubemiester 18

sjcortese

Jan 22, 2010
3.jpg Looking into buying one of these two small heads for some home recording. For silent recording both have the ability to switch off the speaker outputs. Both also have direct outs. Since both heads have di out, the Peavey with mic simulated out, the H&K with Redbox cab sim out, I'm guessing those will significantly color the sound and defeat the purpose of using a cab sim and IRs within my daw. My question is, can I switch off the speaker outs and capture the signal of the preamp from either head by just using the fx send of the fx loop plugged into my interface? Then add my own cab sim/IRs?

Appreciate any guidance :)

For the most tube amps, stand-by switch is for power tubes and when amp is in stand-by, power amp section is virtually off and only preamp is working. In this case (not for all) amp can be used with preamp only without speaker connected (taking signal from send).
Must be checked with manual or manufacturer. For example all Bugera amps works like that.

Bought the tubemeister 20 deluxe yesterday. Over the Cab it sounded great, same as the peavey, but i am not sure if it was 18 or 20 watt. When checking the direct out on the HK I was totally disappointed. Only possible to set the eq at noon, everything else made it sound really bad. Together with the box i bouht the Yamaha thr100 hd. Thats a great box. If you want both, recording and live use its a great box worth a check! Over the cab the little peavy had a bit more bite or balls but when putting it to the DAW it totally creates great sounds!

I've heard some nice demos of the Tubemeister deluxe 20, through cabs and through the RedBox out. That model has the ability to disable the cabinet modeling so I'm sure a wide variety of sounds could be found with different cab IRs. Right now that's high on my list. One of the vids on youtube has it running through a Torpedo Live, sounded nice. The Peavey has the coloration built into the direct out, that bothers me as to how flexible it would be for silent recording. Other than that the thing sounds damn good in the demos I've watched going into a real cab. The Laney IRT Studio has a ton of features for the price, may look into that to. This is going to consume me lol.