6505 using fx send to record

rel4y

New Metal Member
Jun 27, 2011
Hey guys!

Im having trouble recording my 6505 Preamp only. I want to use it with Revalver Poweramp and IRs. Well recording through the Preamp out works like a charm but then i have the signal going to my cab and therefore making noise. Id love to just have the sound coming from my monitors/ headphones.

Now when i plug my interface to the FX send the cab still gets a signal and
the interface does not. Shouldnt that interrupt the signalchain from preamp to poweramp? And why the hell dont i get a signal on my interface?

On another note, could i just pull all the powertubes or would that fry the preamp because of higher current? If that would work it should also be safe to run it without a load, right?

EDIT: Ah, god damn! I missed the line where you said that you have a cab connected during the process... When you said noise I thought you meant the noise of power tubes... Anyway, as Virgil suggested below - use a Load box (or make one), there are plenty of threads about this around here...
------------

I have the 6505 and I'm using it for the same purpose as you do, but I still use the preamp out and here are few tips:
- First of all what is connected to your Speaker/Cab Output on your amp?
- Whatever method you choose you're bypassing the poweramp - so have the Post Gain quite low (2-3), because the noise you're talking about comes from your powertubes, and since you're not using them there's no need to crank them up... The only problem with 6505 is that the Post Gain also regulates master output so it will effectively also reduce the signal coming from Preamp Out, but just compensate that on your interface or DAW.
- Once in DAW it's wrong to use a both poweramp AND impulse response because IRs already have the sound of poweramp in them (they can't be made without the poweramp), so you would be using TWO poweramps which could mess up your tone.
- For me the amp noise your talking about is quite tolerable once you lower the Post Gain, so going all the way around using the methods you suggested makes it quite impractical.

Having said that, I still don't know why you don't get any sound from FX... Since I'm not a guitar player this might sound stupid but - do you need to have the footboard connected with Effect switch pressed On to activate the FX Loop?...

Just get a load box. You can build one yourself, or you can spend some cash and get use something like a weber or THD hot plate attenuator with the load box built into it.