Vampire Magazine

Eden's Fall

METAL
Dec 9, 2005
www.edensfall.com
Review from Vampire Magazine:

http://www.vampire-magazine.com/album_reviews/edens_fall/41498_edens_fall_harmony_of_lies.html

EDENS FALL (USA)
HARMONY OF LIES (Self financed)
Reviewed by Ron on Wednesday 12 April 2006.

Forget all the MTV hyped new metal bands. The biggest hope for American metal to recover is called Eden's Fall! I am thoroughly impressed by this debut album which the band has self financed. But mark my words, these guys mean business!
The album was mixed by Dan Swanö and mastered by James Murphy, need I say more?

Some reviewers have compared the band to Nevermore which does make some sense in that both bands take a high dose of metal from the 1980s and make it sound extremely contemporary. However, a band like Forbidden comes to mind as well. Based in powerful thrash metal but not constrained by any sense of genre limitations Eden's Fall have crafted a sound which is very refreshing.
Eden's Fall shows how a band anno 2006 can be firmly rooted in the 1980s but still bring something new to the table with magnificent metal songs. The rhythm section lays down a refined heavy fundament which allow the guitarists to throw around with guitar leads, harmonies, kick ass riffing, semi-acoustic intermezzos and splendid guitar solos. Finger licking good stuff!
Singer John Barr has a nice raspy voice which complements the heavy music rather well. For some reason his intonation sometimes reminds me of Matt Barlow (ex-Iced Earth) though his voice sounds completely different. Every now and then some growls and grunts are thrown in as backing vocals to give extra emphasis on the vocal department when needed.

One of the album's highlights is "Bleed" which starts out as a semi ballad and quickly is spiced up with a kick ass solo. Slightly over a minute into the song the heavy riffs kick in and the tight rhythm section pounds hard on your skull, slowly working up to a brilliant climax. Although most songs are mostly mid paced there's plenty of rhythm changes to keep your attention focussed. "Liquid christ" is the fastest song on the album and it's fucken fantastic to hear the band go metal thrashing mad!

Without further ado I can honestly tell you that Eden's Fall has delivered a highly impressive debut album. The vigor displayed on "Harmony of lies" is very convincing and I expect many European thrash metal fans to go completely berserk over this band. Do NOT miss out on America's thrash metal hope in these dark days!