Van Canto I would love to see them at PP

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
I love this, it is amazing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwz0Q8_q9yo&feature=related[/ame]

I think it would be okay for the showcase, or a wednesday night thing. But no thanks on any other slot. This style, which has a cult attached to it, is quite boring to my ears. I've heard some of the better groups out there and it does nothing for me. Its a gimmick, like the guy who plays multiple instruments on his body. I appreciate the skill it takes to pull off the gimmick, but its not better than the instruments they are imitating.

I think it would be okay for the showcase, or a wednesday night thing. But no thanks on any other slot. This style, which has a cult attached to it, is quite boring to my ears. I've heard some of the better groups out there and it does nothing for me. Its a gimmick, like the guy who plays multiple instruments on his body. I appreciate the skill it takes to pull off the gimmick, but its not better than the instruments they are imitating.

I agree that they probably wouldn't fit in the regular fest. People are too polarized in terms of their appreciation for them. Because of this, I think they would make a great mid-week in my opinion.

Hmmmm:err: being a singer I really dig what they are doing. However, I dont think I could take more than 2 or 3 songs before wanting to shoot myself in the head:zombie:

I liked it much more than I would have thought had someone tried to describe it to me first. However, for the rest of the day, I'm going to hear in my head that one guy that sounds like he's going "gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble...." during the fast part!

Now that I have all of their CDs, I gotta say that they get better with each album. Personally, I haven't gotten tired of them yet. It is great stuff.

I pretty much agree with you.

Yeah, but it's a CHEAP gimmick. I've always thought Van Canto would be a good band to have come on between PP bands to sing a song or two while fans wait.

Either that, or Glenn should book Stephen Lynch for that purpose.:)

It's a decent novelty act, but I could never see buying their CD, and driving along listening to it. Seriously, listen to this?

Versus the real thing. Why?

Creative yes, but it certainly wouldn't be what would get me to a PP.

Last edited by a moderator:
VC: Showcase or oddball material, sure. 45 minute set...acceptable.

BUT

(Puts on Nomex Fire Suit rated to 3500 degrees)

6 microphones working for an entire set? As I said before, a nightmare for the techs.

I love you guys deeply but I don't see that happening.

(Ducks and runs)