Vangough unleash "Acoustic Scars" EP December 18th on CDBaby and Bandcamp

therabbitking

Lagomorpha
May 17, 2011
An acorn tree
Hey folks,

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I am happy to finally announce the fruits of our labor, which culminated into quite possibly our most unique release yet. Acoustic Scars releases December 18th on Bandcamp and CDBaby in both digital and physical formats and is dedicated to our fans and friends at ProgPower, without whom this EP would have never been made! Thank you for your understanding and support. The kind words of encouragement we received meant a lot to us. We hope this brings a smile to your holiday season. And to the folks that make ProgPower happen each year, thank you. It's truly a special event and we had a great time just being there and soaking it all in.

694048323-1.jpg

From the press release:

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla., December 10, 2012 – Twelve hours to Atlanta. Twelve hours back. In that time Oklahoma-city band Vangough developed the idea behind their latest creation Acoustic Scars, which will appeal to both fans and new listeners with its haunting arrangement of cello, violin and djembe. Once again mixed by long-time collaborator Sterling Winfield and housed in a beautiful glossy jacket, this five-song EP serves as a chilling narrative chronicling the band’s career.

"This EP is a testament to our vulnerability as a band and as human beings," explains vocalist and guitarist Clay Withrow. "Long story short, the title Acoustic Scars is symbolic of our experience in Atlanta and is also a dedication to our ProgPower fans who we unfortunately missed during the trip."

In keeping with the emblematic rabbit themed artwork, 100% of the EP proceeds will go to Heartland Rabbit Rescue in Oklahoma, a place that is very familiar to Clay. “I adopted my two rabbits, Alice and Patch, from Heartland back in 2007 and they've been my muses ever since.” Beginning with a dreary and atmospheric instrumental before segueing into the marquee track “A Song for Crows,” the EP closes in celebratory fashion with the Watership Down-inspired suite “The Rabbit Chronicles."

Following the critical success of their second album "Kingdom of Ruin," Vangough's "Acoustic Scars" provides a brave musical twist that will hold fans over until the arrival of their third studio album in 2013.

Track List:
  1. Leaving Bricolage
  2. A Song for Crows
  3. Throne of Rust
  4. The Rabbit Chronicles
  5. Road to Blighttown

Line-up:
Clay Withrow - Guitar and Vocals
Kyle Haws - Percussion
Jeren Martin - Bass
Justus Johnston - Violin
Jose Palacios - Cello

Acoustic Scars live:
01/04: @ The Parish, Austin, Texas
01/05: @ Bill's Records, Dallas, Texas
01/12: @ Full Cup Bakery, Edmond, Oklahoma
01/17: @ Guestroom Records, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
02/22: @ 502 Bar, San Antonio, Texas
02/23: @ O'Riley's, Dallas, Texas

For more info visit:
https://www.facebook.com/officialvangough
http://www.officialvangough.com/
http://vangough.bandcamp.com/album/acoustic-scars
https://twitter.com/vangough

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! It's very moody. Makes me think of those overcast Sunday afternoons.

I wanted to say you can pre-order the physical CD on Bandcamp, which automatically gets you the digital copy (in 24-bit no less!): Pre-Order the CD or Digital Copy

We also have a special bundle that includes the Signed CD + Digital Download + Poster + T-shirt for only $20! It's also on the same page. Just choose which package is right for you.

1546002909-1.jpg

Thank you very much my friend. :kickass: You have also helped out a great group of people running our state's only rabbit rescue. If you know anyone who enjoyed PoS' 12:5, unplugged PT, Opeth or just exotic reworkings of prog metal in general, you might let them know as I'm sure they'll really dig it. Cheers!

CD is amazing. Great to hear the songs done that way. Great job, it's got me looking forward to new stuff.

Clay, the acoustic disc is awesome! Thanks so much; shows alot of character on your part. Here is hoping to see you guys at a future Prog Power on the big stage. You can count on me for a sponsorship bid! Hope to see you in Atlanta next September!

Got my package yesterday. Kudos on a great album. The beginning of Manikan Parade in the A Song for Crows medley is wonderful. This makes me more excited for the new material. Also I think this sounds so good that a full live acoustic performance would be awesome in the future too. Full versions of Alice or A Father's Love would be great.

Thank you very much! :) We actually had a few more songs recorded for that CD (the PP set was 7 songs I believe) but I think at some point we saw how much time it would take away from recording our full studio album and just decided on those. A live recording is something we definitely want to do.