Various Artists - A Tribute To Accept

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Various Artists - A Tribute To Accept
Nuclear Blast - 2001
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Nuclear Blast website

Errr... I'll come right out and say that perhaps I'm not the best person to review this album. Hell, while I've got nothing against old-school thrash metal of the variety that Accept churned out, what I do have a problem with is record labels trying to generate money on the back of a hastily-cobbled together tribute album both by promoting their own bands and by using the name of the original band to create interest.

The worst thing is, this isn't even the first time NB have released an Accept tribute album. However, this time around they've decided to look within their own ranks for cover tunes, and haven't looked very far from the subject matter - for God's sake, Accept's original singer is on this CD with his new band, U.D.O.! Add into the mix another track sung by Udo's brother, and the words 'cash-in' and 'uninspired' begin to rise towards my consciousness.

Admittedly, some of the covers are very good - Witchery do an excellent, black/thrash rendition of 'Fast As A Shark', and Agent Steel's balls-out version of 'Demon's Night' is almost worth the admission price on its own. However, add in Rough Silk's near hair-metal-esque version of 'Screaming For A Lovebite', Therion's sickeningly cloying interpretation of 'Seawinds' and the execrable Breaker performing... errr... 'Breaker', and you have what adds up to a severely substandard album paying ill-advised tribute to a far, far superior band.

4/10