\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Various Artists - Subdivisions: A Tribute to Rush
Mascot/Magna Carta Records - M7112 2 - 15/03/2005
By Patrick Walsh

subdivisions.jpg

As far as tributes go, this homage to the mighty Rush is actually a fairly listenable affair. Being one of the bastions of progressive-rock and continuing to captivate to this very day, Rush are a band with a considerable legacy, and this album contains eleven of their better known numbers covered by a variety of names, from the well known to the not so. Included doing their part are Andreas Kisser (Sepultura), Alex Skolnick and Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), as well as various others whose relevance I can't fathom, but Subdivisions is nonetheless as solid as tribute albums go.

Of course, if you're a rabid Rush fan then you'll naturally have all of their albums, and the versions of songs such as 'Distant Early Warning' and 'A Farewell to Kings' are spirited and confident, if not a little flat at times. It's interesting to hear these songs in a 21st Century recording, which shows how well they stand the test of time. Like I said, some of the covers are a little lifeless and the whole thing is a little pointless, but if you're an insatiable Rush fanatic (and I know there's plenty of you out there), you might find it interesting to hear some of your favourites being done by a variety of artists. if you've yet to check out Rush, then don't bother with this and go and get A farewell to Kings immediately.

6/10

Official Magna Carta Records Website

I'm not sure what the point of this record is. Magna Carta published "Working Man" in 1996 and it had some great parts, most notably Devin Townsend's vocals on "Natural Science". Although it's been nearly ten years since it's release, I don't think that necessarily means more "bar bands" (Peart's comment) should get together and make more money off Rush's success. Just buy the originals.