\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Various Artists - The Sweet According to Sweden
Rivel Records - RRCD014 - 09/02/2004
By Patrick Walsh

sweet.jpg

Now this takes the biscuit. Christian Rivel, as if inflicting Divinefire onto us wasn't dubious enough, has put together a tribute album for The Sweet. The Sweet for Christ's sake! So contained within are covers of fifteen Sweet 'classics' by a variety of Swedish bands i've never heard of except for Audiovision (and that's only because I reviewed their album last week). I'm guessing some of you might be scratching your heads in bemusement, so for the unitiated, The Sweet were a sugary, piss-poor glam pop-metal outfit from the 70s who are best left consigned to history along with most glam-outfits. Well fifteen different bands went ahead and recorded covers of them, so who am i to judge? I'm sure you all know the score with tribute albums though, and the fact that they're almost exclusively pointless affairs. If you like The Sweet, then go and listen to their albums, there's absolutely no need for anyone to hear a bunch of relative unknowns from Sweden playing godawful covers of what are, in my not so humble opinion, godawful songs. If you think a band with track-names like 'Love is Like Oxygen', 'Need a Lot of Lovin' and 'Rock 'n' Roll Disgrace' might appeal to you, then maybe you'll like this. Everyone else steer well clear; the garish image of the Swedish flag on the cover should alert you from a mile away to turn your back and flee this atrocity.

1/10

Rivel Records' Official Website