Various - Free The West Memphis 3

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Various - Free The West Memphis 3
Koch Records/Shock Records - 2000
By Mark Bridgeman

"Like 3 guys in West Memphis, Arkansas, who were convicted of the brutal murders of 3 small children; one is on death row, the other two got life. The evidence used to convict them was, they wore black clothing and listened to heavy metal. Free the West Memphis 3. If allowed to go far enough, this could happen to anyone. It could happen to me. It could happen to you."

So begins L7's "Boys In Black", the third track on this multi-artist cd, which was released as a "benefit for Truth & Justice". The story is enough for people to take notice of, particularly those of us who value our rights to wear, write and listen to what we want. The lineup of artists supporting the cause should hopefully drag the less... attentive of us to sit up and listen.

With artists ranging such as Steve Earle, Tom Waits and Nashville Pussy, alongside Eddie Vedder (singing with the Supersuckers, who also do a track of their own) and the aforementioned L7, Killing Joke... the list continues. At risk of sounding cheesy, the cause is right and the music is righteous.

Standout tracks for me are Rocket From The Crypt's 'Wrong & Important', the Supersucker's take on 'Heavy Heart' (originally by aussie Tim Rogers of You Am I), and Tom Waits is as great as usual.

This is perhaps not a CD most metal fans would be interested in musically, but it IS one they should at least take note of. And if that's not gonna happen, there're also covers of Iron Maiden's 'Wrathchild' (Zeke) and AC/DC's 'Highway To Hell' (Nashville Pussy) and Pantera's 'Fucking Hostile' (Kelley Deal) AND Danzig's 'Murder City Devils' (SHE) for some added interest.

Oh, and Ben Shepherd (ex-Soundgarden) and Duff McKagen (ex-GNR) appear with Mark Lanegan on his 'Untitled Lullaby'. It's an excellent collection of cool rock songs, if anything else, and worth a solid listening session.

For more information about the West Memphis 3, check out http://www.wm3.org/. If you believe in justice, sign their petition. If you believe in rock, get this CD. Either way, your karma will be blessed.