Very positive review indeed!

And just to prove how impossible it is to get people to totally agree on music can be shown right here. Granted, I did not become a fan of Katatonia until THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE but if I would have heard LAST FAIR DEAL GONE DOWN or even VIVA EMPTINESS first, then I guarantee that I would not be here right now. The most important element in ANY band I listen to is the vocals. If I am not feeling the vocals in a band then the band as a whole loses my attention.

Just one example? Novembre. I think musically, they are even better than Katatonia. However, their vocalist is no where near as good a vocalist as Jonas is, thus Katatonia comes out on top. But Jonas just became appealing to me on TGCD. He is now doing something different with his vocals than he did on all their previous albums and it works extremely well. He uses a much more soothing/layered vocal style and uses the melisma techniques more and it made his vocals improve infinitely more than they used to be. After hearing the masterpiece TGCD, I went back and checked out LFDGD hoping to hear these same amazing vocals and they were sadly no where to be found. He improved slightly on VE but still nowhere near as amazing as he is today. And for me, from the songs I have heard thus far from NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY, I can safely say that NITND will possibly surpass TGCD but I can guarantee it will easily slaughter anything else that Katatonia has already made previously. In fact it already has just with the 4 songs I have heard.

Five years ago I would have laughed my ass off if someone would have told me that the Cookie Monster vocals band I had heard several years earlier would now be making such beautifully melodic and soothing rock music as they now make today (and actually become one of my top favorite bands with just one album). TGCD blew me away and I couldn't get enough of that material. I am thrilled to hear that they are keeping that overall style and just expanding upon it on NITND. So yes, in my opinion, TGCD and NITND stand alone and far above anything else that Katatonia has ever made before.
Jack

I used to be the same way. I got into Katatonia with TGCD too and thought everything before was too boring especially because of the vocals. I couldn't get half way through Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones. But I kept giving their older albums a try here and there and now I like all of them. Discouraged Ones is even one of my favorites of theirs. Now I laugh at myself for not getting into their older stuff earlier. They're at a point for me now where I'll like anything they put out prolly and I already preordered the Swedish edition of NITND.

I don't think reviews will be necessary for NITND judging from the 4 songs I heard as well.

I used to be the same way. I got into Katatonia with TGCD too and thought everything before was too boring especially because of the vocals. I couldn't get half way through Tonight's Decision and Discouraged Ones. But I kept giving their older albums a try here and there and now I like all of them. Discouraged Ones is even one of my favorites of theirs. Now I laugh at myself for not getting into their older stuff earlier. They're at a point for me now where I'll like anything they put out prolly and I already preordered the Swedish edition of NITND.

I don't think reviews will be necessary for NITND judging from the 4 songs I heard as well.

Yeah, it must be a totally different experience getting into the band recently and then storming through their whole back catalog. Since I had their first cd soon after it came out I have had the pleasure of watching them transform, sometimes drastically, from LP to LP. I will say when I first got Tonight's Decision I wasn't sure what to think at first, it was quite a bit different in so many ways from Discouraged Ones, but usually after a handful of listens I have loved every new Katatonia album.

Survival is the word here folks.

The new album has left them time they left to develop as musicians. We have just had the longest gap I've known from Katatonia between albums and so there is a big leap from hat I can tell is coming with the new album.

What Katatonia are doing is beyond what many bands ever achieve. Its not progression, its SURVIVAL!

Few bands can continue to evolve at the rate Katatonia do and stay focused. I never hear them trying to provide what the fans ask for (although I have been demanding more acoustic songs!)

But what DO YOU WANT! Do you honestly know what you all want. Of course you don't because thats part of the beauty of music. You only know what you wanted once you've heard it.

Paradise Lost have sold themselves outto some sort of mixed hybrid of stuff trying to provide for everyone but not actually nailing any one element.

Their new album sounds the same as the previous 4.

Katatonia realised the joy of going from BMD to DO and pushed that into everything they do. They had another big swap at VE going for a more prog rock sound.

I think they discovered todays sound after TGCD in the B-sides.

Every single album by Katatonia sounds like a band believing in what they were doing at the time, this makes all of them masterpieces. They know how to make them and they continue to not let us down.

NITND will no doubt just be another predictable release for Katatonia, because we all know by now that they have never let us down.

I call bullshit.

Why? If you listen to Katatonia's back albums their progression is unlike ANY OTHER BAND ever. They migrate and evolve majestically into ways that I've never heard of any other band do such a thing, and I'm quite positive upon this wait that Night is the New Day will be completely new and fresh katatonia.

For those of you who want The Great Cold Distance 2, I'm sure it's not going to happen. Katatonia is just too good for that kind of nonsense.

For those of you who want The Great Cold Distance 2, I'm sure it's not going to happen. Katatonia is just too good for that kind of nonsense.

and if you have been listening to them for a while you wouldn't expect it any other way.

Sorry if my last post suggested the opposite, i was referring to the fact that its predictable Katatonia will deliver another fresh release as they never fail to deliver an album that is a work of art.

But from what im gathering this is possibly in a different league, I think this new album will be their climax.

FUCKING HELL ROLL ON NOV 2nd!

I call bullshit.

Why? If you listen to Katatonia's back albums their progression is unlike ANY OTHER BAND ever. They migrate and evolve majestically into ways that I've never heard of any other band do such a thing, and I'm quite positive upon this wait that Night is the New Day will be completely new and fresh katatonia.

The evolution of Katatonia has been amazing to say the least (been a fan since the first LP), but I also thought the same of Amorphis and Anathema (maybe not quite to the degree of Katatonia though). I could never have imagined what these 3 bands would sound like today back in 1994: in fact, if someone had told me they would morph into what they are now, I would never have believed it!

You know, I remember being able to download TGCD on I-Tunes a full week before the official relase date. Anyone know if that will be the case with the Night Is The New Day?

I want to listen to all it's awesomeness on vinyl but I'm fucking broke. :cry:

Hopefully it's still for order in a few months :(

Finnish Sue magazine gives 9/10

Rough translation: "Katatonia delivers astonishing melancholy sound scapes, which unfold more and more on every listen. For that NITND, like previous katatonia records, never get old by listening. That´s not necessarily the only good thing. Katatonia has matured and everything sounds maybe a bit too polished. Although you don´t miss the sharp edges when the song Liberation shivers the last leaves off the trees.
Though i'm not a friend of ballads, Katatonia always moves me. The secret is that Katatonia does not stuck with the lighter stuff, but makes it feel more crushing accompanied by the more heavy stuff. The Longest Year is a good example where the song crushes and tends to you at the same time. The album progresses steadily where the songs dont differ much of each other in style. But when the fall storm rises suddenly and wind whistles outside, it´s time to entagle yourself in the soft progressive metal hands of Katatonia. Everything does not need to be so original, when you master the magic.

A really weird review if you ask me. Oh well, 9/10 and almost a whole page of coverage in Sue.
All good, cant wait to get my hands on the album! Katatonia will probably have some radio plays in Finland!