(Very) small mixer?

vespiz

Mixing!
Feb 15, 2007
Tampere, Finland
metalmixing.com
Hello.

I've been looking for a small mixer for live use. At minimum I need 2 stereo line inputs, 1 aux send and stereo out. Mic inputs not necessary. And as small a footprint as possible. Something like Mackie 402-VLZ3, Behringer Xenyx 502, etc. Now, I may have overlooked some, but I can't find anything that quite fits.

Time to build one myself?

It's the Aux send that seems to the limiting factor - there are lots of small personal mixers, but once you get below 8 channels very few have aux sends. Even the mentioned Mackie unit aux sends don't come into play until the 802.

I think potability is the main requirement here - ie smaller the better. As you noted - the aux send on a small unit seems to be the limiting factor. I'd probably place a call to one of your local big audio equipment dealers (I'd call Sweetwater here in the states) and ask them if they could recommend a solution given your requirements.

The Peavy PV6 seems like it might be one of the smallest with an aux send less than 8"x10": http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV6/

00512000_10583.jpg

Peavey PV 6 Compact 6-channel Mixer Specifications:
Four phantom-powerable RQ (Reference Quality) low-noise microphone preamplifiers
Channels 3/4 and 5/6 feature stereo 1/4" line inputs
3-band Equalizer on Channels 1 and 2
1 effects send with stereo output
1 stereo effects return
Control room output
Tape I/O on rear panel
Tape to control room and tape to mix assignments
Stereo main output on 1/4" balanced connectors
Rugged console-style, metal design
Weight: 7 lbs.
W 7.625" x H 2.75" x D 9.75"

Well, I work at one, so yeah. :) I've done my research before asking here, no doubt about it, just thought to widen my search.
Thanks for the Peavey recommendation, I hadn't thought about them!

The aux-send would be perfect, but I've been thinking about it more and just one additional output (in addition to the main stereo output) with a separate volume would be sufficient.
Most do have the 2tr out with RCA's, but I don't know .. seems so.. unprofessional! :p

Rack mixers .. hmm. I'm trying to keep this a slim as possible. Good thing about racks is the protection a good case can give.
I've also thought about adding a rack synth at some point, but I feel like there's too much stuff already! (eh.. from one synth to two! :D)