Help me rig this up?

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
Here's what I'm looking to use:
(2) PreSonus FP10's
PreSonus HP60 6 Channel Headphone Amp (may not be pertinent to this)
Mackie 1202-VLZ3 12channel mixer (an older one)
Laptop w/ Nuendo

I'm looking to use this setup when I record next week. I've got some tutorials on how to get separate channels for each player and whatever, even though it isn't really gonna matter since I'm tracking everyone individually. I want to be able to give the drummer a mix he can have a little (and I mean a little) control over by using the small mixer. The issue is that I don't really know what to give him and wanted some input on how to do it.

I could send him the mix that will be recorded, but since I'm tracking with triggers to replace them with later, I'd like to have him hear a touch more than just a bunch of blips that don't sound good. So, I thought if I could send the OH mix to the mixer, the snare mike (cuz I'm using a trig and a mic on the snare for tracking), and then run a kick mic straight to the mixer, then he could have a general mix of what he's supposed to be hearing. On top of that, I can send guitars/whatever from the DAW to the mixer so he can hear what he's tracking to. There are 4 stereo inputs on the mixer, so sending an OH/GTRS/CLICK individual mixes to the mixer shouldn't be a problem.

Is this correct? If so, should I give less/more?

I guess I'm also thinking of routing the HiHat mic to this mixer as well on it's own channel...after reading the Acoustic Drum Recording guide OzNimbus put together a while back so he drummer don't go crazy on the hat.

Um...the point of my original idea is I can only do a stereo mix + click into the headphone amp, then...depending on from what line I insert it from, I only have one more insert for just the channel specified (drum mix)...and I'm tracking with *triggers* (would you want to hear "tick tick tick" for a couple of hours straight?). There aren't enough inputs on the headphone amp for what I was talking about.

Use the hardware line out on the firepods/fp10's. give whatever channels you want to monitor into the mixer and then use that for the monitoring the players want. you still have your monitor outs on your firepods for other mixes you want to hear.

Use the hardware line out on the firepods/fp10's. give whatever channels you want to monitor into the mixer and then use that for the monitoring the players want. you still have your monitor outs on your firepods for other mixes you want to hear.

yep you have 16 line outs on the firepods and 4 sets of main outs plenty to track a band and have a few headphone mixes............