VHT/Fryette Sig X

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hey,

Anyone around here have a Sig: X? Post your clips here! :)

I've sold my Laney so I've almost got enough cash - £1200 right now. And I'm thinking of getting the Sig: X.

But I'm curious if there is anything else I should consider.

I need a three channel amp, with a kick-ass clean, a nice mid-gain crunch, and a dirty metal rhythm.

Tbh, I'm 99% sure it'll be the Sig: X. But I want to keep an open mind.

Was gonna buy a 5153 a while back actually, for a good price too. But it has a weird channel popping issue that I just wasn't comfortable with.

Recto is certainly an option. I think they're a bit more expensive than the Sig: X though.

I owned a Sig:X for awhile, and while is was a GREAT amp, it's definitely a jack-of-all-trades amp in that it does everything well but it doesn't AMAZE me at anything. The VHT/Fryette Pitbull Ultralead beats it at high gain, my Marshall and Voxes beat it at cruch, and Fenders, Voxes, etc. beat the cleans.

If you're looking for a single amp to cover all of your bases, the Sig:X is tough to beat in that price range, but I agree that you should also check out the 2010 Rectifier, the Marshall JVM410 H, and the Peavey 5150III (just off the top of my head). If you save a bit more you might also be able to find a used Bogner Uberschall in that price range, which I think beats the Sig:X for heavy and clean tones (but will need a pedal for the 'in between' tones).

the Sig:X is something totally different from the Recto in my opinion, I really like it,
tried it a few times, I also like the Recto, depends on what you need, loved the Sig:X
for faster technical stuff because it has the tightness I love from every VHT/Fryette
I tried.

There's also those Randall RM series, with modular preamps. I saw 'em for $650 on ebay a while back, and you can load whatever kind of preamp you want. But I'd get a 5153 before it.

We have a singer now dude :)

I'm leaning towards the Sig: X more and more to be honest. Everything I've heard from it just sounds fantastic. I imagine as part of the distance selling regulations I'll have 7 or 14 days to try it out. So if I discover I dislike it, can always send it back. But I really like the tones - there just aren't loads of clips of this amp out there.

And tbh, the Recto strikes me as much more of a jack of all trades amp.

I haven't heard a single high gain metal recording of the Sig:X that I thought sounded decent.

I'd go with the 5150 III... not all of them have that popping issue.

Yo Joshua, it's worth bearing in mind that my band isn't really metal. We've got elements of metal, but we're not really metal entirely.

When you look at bands like ISIS, A Perfect Circle, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Alice In Chains, and Metallica... well... they've all used VHT/Fryette amps to some degree. Now that doesn't necessarily mean anything, because they might not have used a Sig: X - but everything I've heard from the Sig: X I thought was really good.

But y'know... it is always different in real life. It'll be interesting to check it out.

Yeah my 5153 is totally silent during channel changes.

Weird. I'd heard that they all had it - it's the reason I didn't buy it in the end. I can't abide that kind of sloppy design, which is also why I don't want a JVM. JVM's sound okay.... but they are built like shit. When you flick between the channels on a JVM, you get a 50ms gap of silence.

Completely ruins the feel of the amp for me - when you play live and you go from clean to distorted, you want it to be smooth and instant. The JVM doesn't do that.

I wish Orange did a 3 channel amp. They'd fucking do it right!!

I had a 3 channel dual rec up for sale about 2 weeks ago which I sold for 1200. Besides what shipping would have been it might have been an alternate choice.

Guys... sorry to go on and on about amps... but what are the differences between the various Rectifier heads?

IE: You've got the Single Rectifier, The Dual Rectifier Solo Head, the Dual Rectifer 100 Watt Head, and the Triple Rectifier.

My previous comments about the Recto was based on a Rectoverb. Which I thought was the same as the Dual Rect but in a combo... but now I see it isn't and that I am a big twat!!

So er... little help/advice??