Vicious Rumors

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
While looking through emusic the other night I ran across an album by a band called, Vicious Rumors. I've heard of them throughout the years, but haven't heard any of their music. The album is Welcome to the Ball. The 30 second samples sound great! Any fans of this band here? Is so, feel free to discuss.

~Brian~

This isn't quite as bad as someone who is IN a power metal band not knowing Helloween, but Vicious Rumors is a band that most people here ought to now.

They're only one of the most amazing (and most underrated) power/thrash bands to come out of the '80s. Their first 4-5 albums are absolutely essential.

This isn't quite as bad as someone who is IN a power metal band not knowing Helloween, but Vicious Rumors is a band that most people here ought to now.

They're only one of the most amazing (and most underrated) power/thrash bands to come out of the '80s. Their first 4-5 albums are absolutely essential.

Wow, it only took one post in order for me receive a smart ass reply! :Smokin: Professor Gains, go back and re-read my post. I've heard of the band, but quite frankly never gave them the time of day. For some reason, mainly due to the band name. I had no idea that they were a thrash band with a melodic vocalist. Vicious Rumors sounds like the name of one of those pre-grunge bands like Warrior Soul or Saigon Kick imo. I simply pre-judged them due to their band name. A mistake, yes, but I'm aware of that now.

~Brian~

Have been a fan since Soldiers of the Night and yes the early stuff is essential. After Carl Albert (vocalist extraordinare) sadly passed away the band lost it. Changing styles, revolving cast of band members, subpar songwriting, etc. Yes there have been some strong moments on later albums including the latest- Warball- but I doubt if they'll ever recapture the glory days.......

One of my all-time favorite bands. The perfect blend of melody and heavy-ass music. I never looked at them as thrash, though....they could write speedy stuff, but to me, they're just balls-out metal. In my opinion, "Digital Dictator", "their S/T cd "Vicious Rumors" and "Welcome To The Ball" are essential for any metal collection. You mourn the loss of Criss Oliva, and I was the same when Carl Albert (VRs vocalist) passed away. The band hasn't been quite the same without him, but I still love them ......I've enjoyed every release, especially "Sadistic Symphony" and "Warball". Geoff Thorpe is so underrated as a writer of metal music.

BTW- when I first heard Brainstorm so many years ago, I thought "man...these guys are just ripping off Vicious Rumors, especially the guitar riffs!". That's kinda why I started digging Brainstorm.....same kinda energy and vibe as Vicious Rumors.

In my opinion, "Digital Dictator", "their S/T cd "Vicious Rumors" and "Welcome To The Ball" are essential for any metal collection.

QFT.

I was a relative late bloomer with these guys too, hearing them for the first time around 10 years ago. A friend showed me the video to Don't Wait For Me. I was blown away and became an instant fan.

One of my all-time favorite bands. The perfect blend of melody and heavy-ass music. I never looked at them as thrash, though....they could write speedy stuff, but to me, they're just balls-out metal. In my opinion, "Digital Dictator", "their S/T cd "Vicious Rumors" and "Welcome To The Ball" are essential for any metal collection. You mourn the loss of Criss Oliva, and I was the same when Carl Albert (VRs vocalist) passed away. The band hasn't been quite the same without him, but I still love them ......I've enjoyed every release, especially "Sadistic Symphony" and "Warball". Geoff Thorpe is so underrated as a writer of metal music.

QUOTE]

I would agree with those three as their best...their latest couple of offerings didnt do much for me....

HUGE fan of the band. Carl Albert the singer during this era (RIP) was listed in my top 10 fav singers thread. Vinnie Moore was also in the band during the earlier days (Shrapnel Records). Get the self titled album. You will drool.

VICIOUS RUMORS are one of the best US metal bands ever. Carl Albert, had he not been killed, would be at the top of most people's lists of greatest vocalist of all time. Since he was taken so early he never got his due as being mentioned here as a band heard about but never checked out.

Digital Dictator, Vicious Rumors, Welcome To The Ball are 3 long lost classics of the power thrash genre and ALL are worth any money spent.

Vicious Rumors kick ass! Top notch US Power metal! And Carl Albert was a god...

Get the first 5 albums of them as soon as possible. The first two (Soldiers of the Night & Digital Dictator) have been reissued recently so it won't be difficult to find them.

I agree, one of my favorite bands ever. Carl Albert is one of my favorite singers ever. (RIP)

The material on Atlantic Records is pretty awesome, and the material on Shrapnel slays.

The 2006 album with James Rivera singing (Warball) is godlike and was my favorite album of that year. Definitely pick that one up.

Wow, it only took one post in order for me receive a smart ass reply! :Smokin: Professor Gains, go back and re-read my post. I've heard of the band, but quite frankly never gave them the time of day. For some reason, mainly due to the band name. I had no idea that they were a thrash band with a melodic vocalist. Vicious Rumors sounds like the name of one of those pre-grunge bands like Warrior Soul or Saigon Kick imo. I simply pre-judged them due to their band name. A mistake, yes, but I'm aware of that now.

~Brian~

I'm not knocking you dude. It's better to discover a band like this late than not at all.

And I hope you're not writing off Saigon Kick or especially Warrior Soul. Those are/were great bands.

Also, totally forgot about BRAINSTORM doing "Don't Wait For Me" as bonus track Soul Temptation album. Funny enough i know how much everyone on here loves Andy's vocals, but after listening to the BS version again it makes me love Carl Albert that much more. Andy cannot touch him with a 50 ft. pole.

Thanks everyone! I downloaded Welcome To The Ball from emusic, so I'll listen to it on my way down to my meetings in Knoxville tomorrow. :kickass:

~Brian~

If the following tracks don't have you speeding down the highway fist pumping then we shall have to get your head examined! hahaha.

You Only Live Twice
Abandoned
Ends Of The Earth
Savior From Anger

and if the track Children isn't one of the best ballads by a thrash band i don't know what could be better.

enjoy, you will be buying the S/T album this week i guarantee.

only one warning on the two Atlantic albums. Wounded Bird reissued them and they ARE NOT remastered which is a crime.

Definitely pick up "Digital Dictator","Vicious Rumors","Welcome to the Ball" & "Word of Mouth"....I had the opportunity to open for these guys back in 1990 with my old band Roadies Nightmare & they ended up using our equipment because their equipment was locked up in an airplane hangar in N.J.!!Awesome band & cool dudes!!:cool:
Krusty

Geoff Thorpe, (guitarist), the leader of this band and only constant member has incorporated so many line-up changes since 1994 that it's hard to keep up. During the mid-nineties the band went through a period in which they played groove metal, I would stay away from those albums. See below for what I would recommend. Gary St. Pierre gives one of the classic Metal vocal performances of all time on the debut album, only to never be heard from again.

The following are essensial:
Soldiers of The Night, 1986 (Vocals: Gary St. Pierre)
Digital Dictator, 1988 (Vocals: Carl Albert)
Vicious Rumors, 1990 (Vocals: Carl Albert)
Welcome To The Ball, 1991 (Vocals: Carl Albert)
Warball, 2006 (Vocals: James Rivera)

These two are decent:
The Voice EP, 1994 (Vocals: Carl Albert)
Word of Mouth, 1994 (Vocals: Carl Albert)