Video of OD808 vs VST 808 shootout

Bereavement

In the vein of Dark
Feb 13, 2003
Hong Kong
music.llnr.biz
Hi guys, I just made a shootout video for Maxon OD808 vs some VST 808 emulation.
Thought I'd share to you guys, please check out the below video if you are interested :headbang:

some differences are subtle though, the VST ones aren't bad at all! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gojira!

Great comparison! I liked the Maxon the best, didn't like the second or 4th one, but they were just slightly 'looser' or darker. BTE one sounded close to me. What I listen for is tightening of the lows and attack without fizziness.

The free podfarm, amplitube and guitar rig ones would be a good addition to the shootout.

Gojira!

Great comparison! I liked the Maxon the best, didn't like the second or 4th one, but they were just slightly 'looser' or darker. BTE one sounded close to me. What I listen for is tightening of the lows and attack without fizziness.

The free podfarm, amplitube and guitar rig ones would be a good addition to the shootout.

Thanks for the input man, I liked Maxon the best too and I agree BTE sounded the closest among the other two contenders .only BTE has some harsh resonance at the high mid region, other than this, BTE sounded closest.

my personal least favorite is the Mokafix , like you said, it sounded loose and kinda weird, like quite robotic.

TSE sonded loose too but somehow I kinda like the character of that VST. it sounded not really like the real thing lol but quite special to me.

yes I totally forgot guitar rig and amplitube haha, probably will include these next time doing shootout, I love doing VST vs real deal shootout. I actually a big fan of VST guitar effects, amps, impulse (especially free stuff), will do another shootout once I am free again :p. Thanks for watching man.,

and yes!! I love Gojira!!

my personal least favorite is the Mokafix , like you said, it sounded loose and kinda weird, like quite robotic.

I also liked the tone with the Mokafix quite a bit - I thought it brought a little something unique to the sound, while probably not the most "accurate" emulation, of the VST 808's it just had this little something extra going on that I really liked. Good job.

cool test!
all samples sound very similar, the mokafix has a bit more highend.
maxon and tse sound almost identical,
i'd prefer the hardware pedal though.