Viewpoint on the Anthrax reunion

thomco1

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2005
O.K., I know there are mixed feelings about the Anthrax reunion and I just need to vent a bit... so here goes.

The Joey-era (pt. 1, as it were) provided us with some of the greatest music ever released. I was fortunate enough to have seen the band at the old Bayou in D.C. on the "Spreading the Disease" and "Among the Living" tours (1986-7) and those are some of the fondest memories I have concert-wise... BAR NONE! When John came aboard, Anthrax didn't rely on rehashing past glory with a "substitute" -- far from it. The band continued to make vital music with its own distinctive identity, culminating (sadly) with the brilliant "We've Come For You All" which, in my humble opinion, may damn well be the band's best full album EVER; that in itself is quite a statement from a 22-plus-year fan.

Now, I can certainly see where there may be the desire to rekindle the past and hopefully (much like Priest and Maiden) produce quality stuff with the "classic" alignment. Unlike Priest and Maiden, however (and this is with NO disrespect to Ripper or Blaze), John Bush was his own man who brought a new and exciting element to Anthrax. In short, I can honestly say that I was, am, and always will be a fan of both eras. There is possibly no other band which undertook such a major, self-imposed change that I can say that about. The two eras are not up for comparison, and that, dear fans who whined one way or the other, is that.

Let me say also that John Bush and Rob Caggiano are two of the most approachable musicians that I ever met. The appreciation that they showed me, my wife, and stepson (his first concert was the fall, 2003 Pittsburgh show) are cherished memories. The shows which I attended from the "WCFYA" tour were simply breathtaking and, as expected, took the action up a notch beyond the predictability which so many metal acts with roots from back in the day present (you know, starts with an "M"!!).

So where does this leave us? From my end, I simply feel short changed. To say that "John and Rob are still part of the Anthrax family" is dodging the issue. Hell, Bon Scott is still very much a part of the AC/DC family, but I don't expect him to rise up and belt out "Whole Lotta Rosie" any time soon. I don't want answers; I want the truth... I can handle it. The legacy of John Bush deserves it, painful or not. Experience has shown me that trying to please both sides ultimately winds up hurting both sides.

Anyway, that's it, and I feel better for saying it. I wish Anthrax nothing but the best and hope that the achievements are all that they can be. I can only hope that the past 13 years will not be put into jewel cases in some remote corner.

Moshing it up no matter what,
TC

Well put.
I recon its about time a official press release was put out explaining the reasons behind all this.

Brentney Spears said:
reason for doing it? Simple - piss off half your fans and excite the 99% of people out there who didn't know Anthrax still existed and the only thing they know is Scott's on VH1 all the time.

Maybe piss off 1/2 of the small ammount of fans they had left...Some people may have liked the last decade but there is a reason people don't know they exist as you may have stated. Because of the line-up and musical changes. It may be popular to some, but it was the music of the newly reunited Anthrax that give them their legacy and made them known at all.

reidie said:
Well put.
I recon its about time a official press release was put out explaining the reasons behind all this.
We all heard thge rumours before 4/1/05 and I was truly hoping that once the web site was up again that it would answer all of our questions,but we're all just left in the dark.Saturday night on Head Banger's ball didn't explain anything either.