Vildhjarta's latest release. Mix/Master by me :)

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Howdi,

So i posted a while ago that i got my first major label work and here it is. I think some of you might not like it, it is unique i'd say and Daniel in the band was very clear on what he wanted out of the tracks so a bit of compromises where made on my behalf regarding the mix. But i'd say im happy with the results and the song itself is very fresh sounding and really unique in its own way.

Check it out and tell me what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_xRN8A2UBZ8

Cheers / Christian

I've got to say that guitar tone is very unique. It has certain "dark" characteristics that I love

Mix sounds good. Really excited to hear the rest of the album!

I like it, and the mix was nice!

Different for sure but in a good way. Would like to hear more.

I like the snare & bass, but all of the guitar tones sound pretty unappealing to me. This is probably all stuff that was requested to be a certain way by the band though. :/

Ok cool that you guys seems to be positive to the sound. I did not engineer or reamp anything. They liked the guitar sound and wanted to stick with it, and it reminds me a bit off the 90's deathmetal tones. I'll speak to the band and see what i can reveal about the production, so stay tuned.

I don't know if they released this song fast because it leaked earlier this week. It's really a concept EP 30min long, with all sort of different elements, orchestra and piano etc. But ofc also that crushing riffing. But i think it should be enjoyed in its full, listen from start to the end to fully appreciate every song. For me this one was a personal favorite cause it sounded totally fresh and new to my ears :)

You lucky fuck getting to work with THALL, hahaha... I was a little disappointed with this song but now that I realize it's out of context, I must with-hold any of the comments I was going to make!

That guitar tone, though.... shame you couldn't reamp. When it all kicks in it loses all its intensity, BUT, its out of context so I must reserve judgement!

Drums and Bass sound really awesome!
Totally digging the snare crack & power + what is audible of the snare ambience.
Wasn't there a budget for recording real drums though? Totally sounds like Metal Foundry overheads

Not really digging the distorted tone...dunno, maybe it's something you have to get used to

That intro mix up until the distorted tone comes...wow man. Great job

I really dig Vildhjarta, and was very excited to hear the new track! Cool that you worked on it, once I hear the full product I might have some questions for you :devil:

Oh, this was by you? Cool stuff, great mix too! I dig how it's different, even though it's not a guitar tone I'd personally go for. I'm sure it'll grow on me though, as the songwriting sounds very good.

Are they using piezos on the clean tones or something BTW? Doesn't really sound like ordinary pickups.

Oh, this was by you? Cool stuff, great mix too! I dig how it's different, even though it's not a guitar tone I'd personally go for. I'm sure it'll grow on me though, as the songwriting sounds very good.

Are they using piezos on the clean tones or something BTW? Doesn't really sound like ordinary pickups.

Thanks man! I think they use Lundgren pickups. To me it sounds like they used a acoustic sim on a line-in signal if that makes sense?

First of all, congrats on getting this gig! It's always extremely cool to see guys from here breaking out of the local.

As for the mix, the guitar part has been covered. My critique is the lack of low end from the center once the heavy guitars are in. To be honest, I thoughtwhen the guitars first came in that the bass would eventually hit, but it didn't. :/

I'm guessing a sacrifice had to be made to the low end in order to preserve the guitar tone or that the extreme mids are really masking that low end.