Vintersorg/Borknagar......Frontman.....Why Steve DiGiorgio....?

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
VINTERSORG/BORKNAGAR frontman Andreas Hedlund :

Metal Reference: On your latest two albums, you've used renowned bass player Steve DiGiorgio (TESTAMENT, DEATH, SADUS). What makes him the perfect choice... especially in regard of the fact that Scandinavia has several good bassists as well?

Vintersorg
: "Steve is just a guru for us, he's so well balanced in his art. He knows when to support and when to 'show off' in the songs. We have some kind of hidden musical bond I guess, even if we are from very separate part of the world. He has a mind that many bass player I've heard, don't have. He uses melodies in his instrument, and not just one finger pounding on the single notes in the background. Bass has a great potential to give the music yet another dimension, but traditionally bass have often the role of just being there, without being there, if you understand what I mean."

Read The Whole Interview here:

[url]http://www.metal-reference.com/vintersorg/interview1.html[/url]

Yeah, listen to the 'Visions from the Spiral Generator' a couple of times in a row and you'll be out of your mind with ecstasy - truly a remarkable album; can't wait to hear the new one (is Steve on? pardon my ignorance, but it is morning and I don't remember and don't have to energy to browse the sites for info).

If this is what's the future of metal, then we are in for a treat. After years of mind-numbing black-death crap, nu-metal (real crap!) and hymnic crap Rhapsody metal, the real deal has survived and is back.

Saw DEATH ANGEL live, back in November 2003. First time, long time fan, waited for them for 13 years!!! And it was the most f**ing intense metal show ever, EVER! These guys know hot to deliver.

Steve is on the new one indeed. I actually think I like Visions... better than the new one, but that may change. I've only got it from internet, so I will probably appreciate it even more when it gets out and I can get the booklet in my hands and the CD spinning on my stereo. Albums lose some of their "soul" when downloaded, in my opinion, but alas, the pressure was too much. I HAD to download it :)

My absolute favourite track is 'A Metaphysical Drama'. The part towards the end where lyrics go

Rainbows in colours never seen
In symbioses with Nordic light that flashes in green

In rapids of blood glorious
And in the reckless fire victorious
I can trace their mark

This part, with the main vocal melody, haunting background vocals, acoustic guitars, flowing bass and cymbal-ridden drumming ... this really makes my hair stand on end.

Absolutely the best!

Oh, yes, and the way this album kicks in with the opening barrage in 'Vem Styr Symmetrin?' :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Exactly which albums of Vintersorg's is Steve playing bass on? According to his site and a couple other sites, Visions from the spiral generator was the only album he'd been on.

Steve plays the bass on Visions and the last album by Vintersorg, The Focusing Blur. I think both of them have the best bass lines on a metal album but I think I favor The Focusing Blur. It sounds like the bass is more laid back and free if you see what I mean. I absolutely love the bass on "The essence".

Both spiral generator and focusing blur are good albums. I tend to listen to spiral generator more as i think its a bit more metal.