Virtual Instrument that will let me load my own multisamples into multiple velocities

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Is there anything cheap and simple out there to do this? Basically something I can use as Drumagog but only for triggering from midi, I don't need a real "drum replacement" plugin. I know I could do it with Kontakt but that seems like overkill. There has to be a generic sample player VI out there that is capable of this? I mean, people use multisampled pianos with random samples at multiple velocities, I could use the same plugin for drums, I just need to find something simple and straightforward (and Mac compatible) that will do it!

How the hell do I do random multisamples at the same velocity? I got the demo, got the velocities setup in one cell but it just plays all the samples in the same velocity at the same time :/ Is there a tutorial for this somewhere? There is nothing in the manual about the words "random" or "multisample"... Ughhh I am a VI n00b.

How the hell do I do random multisamples at the same velocity? I got the demo, got the velocities setup in one cell but it just plays all the samples in the same velocity at the same time :/ Is there a tutorial for this somewhere? There is nothing in the manual about the words "random" or "multisample"... Ughhh I am a VI n00b.

As I remember, you need to load different samples in different cells.
For example, on cell F1, load Soft-Sample-1, Med-Sample-1, Strong-Sample-1 and Crack-Sample-1.
On F2, load Soft-Sample-2, Med-Sample-2, Strong-Sample-2 and Crack-Sample-2 etc etc...
Then, configure the velocities on each cell (on the Mapping tab).

Ok... when you have loaded different samples in different cells, select all the cells (holding CTRL) and then, go to the Setup Tab an configure it like this

batteryrandom.jpg

The important thing is to put Random on Condition 1 and put a number in Cycle Nr.
Each instrument needs to have a different Cycle Nr! In this case, I have 1 on kick, but if I add a snare-group-sample, I have to use a different number for snare.
Another thing is that each kick-cell must have the same midi-note as trigger (C1 for kick, E1 for snare on most cases...)

One other question about Battery, is there a way to control the volume that it plays the samples in the separate velocities? Like right now, my quiet hits are SUPER quiet because it seems to be taking into account the actual MIDI velocity and adjusting the sample volume based on that. My soft hits are already quiet compared to my hard hits, I don't want them reduced in volume anymore than they already are. There must be a slider or knob somewhere to control the dynamics? Like my hard hit is triggered at 127 and plays full volume, but a soft hit triggered at 60 plays at half the volume of the original sample. I want the sample to play at full volume because it is already proportionately quieter than the hard hit anyways.. Make sense?

Forget this thread now, I jimmyrigged a free solution. I already own apTrigga but was bummed that it couldn't do random velocity sensitive multisamples, it can only do random samples all at one velocity, or multiple velocities but only one sample per velocity. The free DrumReaplacer plugin for Reaper however, CAN do velocity sensitive multisamples along with a bunch of other cool parameters. It can't read MIDI though. Sooo, I made a TINY little "blip" sample from a sidestick sample, and since apTrigga can read MIDI, I set apTrigga to trigger from the MIDI and output the blip. apTrigga can output the blip at the corresponding velocity of the MIDI as well, so now DrumReaplacer is being fed a velocity accurate blip from the MIDI, and I use that to trigger that velocity sensitive multisamples in DrumReaplacer. Works SO well since the blip is so small I can literally bring the threshold on Reaplacer down to -inf and set the retrigger interval to 0.0ms without it ever double triggering.

Now I have velocity sensitive multisamples from MIDI for free (cept I already bought apTrigga years ago but whatever)! Wheeee....